Thread: Vista Won't End Windows XP Availability

Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    I can't count how many times people have asked me if Windows XP would be available on new PCs following Vista's release.

In the near term, the answer is as much a factor of user demand and OEM and system builder policies. That said, Microsoft will make Windows XP available for from 12 to 24 months after Vista's general availability, depending on the sales channel.

According to Microsoft's Life-Cycle Policy Web site, Windows XP Home, Professional, Tablet PC, Media Center and 64-bit editions will be available in direct OEM and retail licenses for 12 months following the beginning of Windows Vista's general availability, which is scheduled to be Jan. 30, 2007. System builder licenses will be available for another 12--or total 24--months from Vista's general availability, it said.

License availability doesn't necessarily mean operating system availability. I presume Microsoft will get Windows XP off retail shelves as quickly as possible after Vista ships. OEMs are another matter. While I generally like Windows Vista, I agree with some users of the "gold" code who say the operating system feels unfinished, like a work in progress. Some customers choosing to wait may ask OEMs or system builders for Windows XP.

Kevin Bailey, an IT manager from Bowling Green, Ky., said, after experiencing technical support problems following a Windows Vista upgrade, "Microsoft isn't ready for the general release."

As businesses grapple with Windows Vista testing and deployment, and consumers with the hefty price increases (Vista ultimate's suggested retail price is $399, or $259 as an upgrade), Windows XP may yet have some sales longevity left.

Some advice to Microsoft, for the benefit of partners: Why not let OEMs and some system builders provide Vista DVDs without product IDs to consumers and small businesses that purchase Windows XP PCs after January 30? The DVDs would create opportunity for a later upsell opportunity for you and your partners--not just Vista but components like extra memory, too. The whole point of the new Vista DVDs is to make easier in-place upgrades, such as Windows Vista Home Premium to Ultimate. Why not extend that sales opportunity to post-Vista-launch Windows XP sales?

Source: http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...129TX1K0000535
    Screenshot: http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xpvl6.gif

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    If the prices drop to something reasonable, at the end there when Vista's out, I might actually get a legit copy of XP.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    I am currently using vista ultimate RTM, and I like it way better than XP. True, the price is high, but I never have to pay for my OS's anyways, but Im not sure what is meant by "feels like a work in progress", its an excellent OS so far. I cant wait for the public release so I can get more compatible software

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I really liked Vista , my system flew , sadly my trial ran out so fuck off Microsoft .

Plicks after reinstalling Win XP , lo and behold Peat finds crack for Vista . Unfair basterds !

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    it took 5+ years for win98 to die off so i bet the same goes for xp. anywho, gamers aren't gonna wanna switch to vista anytime soon either. so, all hail XP!
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    I won't upgrade cause of game compatibility. Haha, I'm too afraid.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    i'm awaiting that winxp sp3 full upgrade for $50! shh, whenever that is.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503