Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Okay to charge pda using different charger?

  1. #1
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    836
    So I recently broke my pda charger and I really dont want to buy a new one. I found another charger that outputs at the same voltage as my old (broken) charger. However the amps is different. My old charger outputs at 1000 mA and the charger I want to use outputs at 850 mA. Anyone know if that is okay or will something break?
    blah blah blah... whatever...



  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skillz808's Avatar Shadowness BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by erRor67 View Post
    So I recently broke my pda charger and I really dont want to buy a new one. I found another charger that outputs at the same voltage as my old (broken) charger. However the amps is different. My old charger outputs at 1000 mA and the charger I want to use outputs at 850 mA. Anyone know if that is okay or will something break?
    I would assume it would be ok because it is lower then your broken one, now if it was higher i would think it would do damage.

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillz808 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erRor67 View Post
    So I recently broke my pda charger and I really dont want to buy a new one. I found another charger that outputs at the same voltage as my old (broken) charger. However the amps is different. My old charger outputs at 1000 mA and the charger I want to use outputs at 850 mA. Anyone know if that is okay or will something break?
    I would assume it would be ok because it is lower then your broken one, now if it was higher i would think it would do damage.
    I disagree.

    Would you use a underpowered power supply in your PC? Say 200 watts?

    Would you avoid a power supply with a higher wattage rating? Say 600 watts?

    I wouldn't (for both questions).

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skillz808's Avatar Shadowness BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillz808 View Post

    I would assume it would be ok because it is lower then your broken one, now if it was higher i would think it would do damage.
    I disagree.

    Would you use a underpowered power supply in your PC? Say 200 watts?

    Would you avoid a power supply with a higher wattage rating? Say 600 watts?

    I wouldn't (for both questions).
    This is for charging not for permanant use like a pc uses a PSU but im not some pro at this stuff just giving what i thought but i could be wrong .

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    24,069
    It would make more sense to find out how many mA the pda actually uses while charging.
    If it's under 800 then the charger will be fine.

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    chip19's Avatar a chip off ol' death BT Rep: +4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    sojo
    Posts
    140
    I know that the Palm m500 in particular has major issues with other chargers. Even if you use it's supplied charger and plug it in the wrong way, it can cause permanent damage. I doubt your Palm is as finicky, but I wouldn't take the chance. You should be able to find the exact charger you need on Ebay for cheap.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •