Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Registry cleaner?

  1. #1
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Don't have one, never used one.

    I've read prior discussions here, and am aware there is (as with all other programs) a wide variety of effectiveness and also a bit of danger for those, like myself, who are less than registry-literate.

    I am not extraordinarily adventuresome prowling the interweb; I don't take too many risks.

    I am interested, nonetheless, and wonder if there is a free program worth a download, and what people think, generally, about using it/them?
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Delta B.C. Canada
    Posts
    10,816
    Every time you install or uninstall a program you leave debris in the registry ,over time it gets corrupted and can slow your system down . Try Ccleaner its very safe and you can backup the changes .

    Other good freebies are Regcleaner and RegSupreme .
    Last edited by peat moss; 12-24-2006 at 03:52 PM.

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    on something.
    Age
    38
    Posts
    22,677
    Yup, ccleaner wins.

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Every time you install or uninstall a program you leave debris in the registry ,over time it gets corrupted and can slow your system down . Try Ccleaner its very safe and you can backup the changes .

    Other good freebies are Regcleaner and RegSupreme .
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post
    Yup, ccleaner wins.
    Doh.

    I've been using Ccleaner for a couple of years now; didn't realize that it fully fit the description of "reg cleaner".

    Well, then.

    Question answered, fellers.

    Thanks.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Delta B.C. Canada
    Posts
    10,816
    Ccleaner calls them Issues ? It is a good free one ,I use a couple of programs tho as I might try 3 or 4 programs a week so need a more powerful cleaner .

    RegSurpreme Pro and Tuneup Utility 2007 finds the ones Ccleaner misses .

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Ccleaner calls them Issues ? It is a good free one ,I use a couple of programs tho as I might try 3 or 4 programs a week so need a more powerful cleaner .

    RegSurpreme Pro and Tuneup Utility 2007 finds the ones Ccleaner misses .
    Redundancy has it's appeal.

    I'll check them out.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    When I first started building and operating PC's I used to format and reinstall every 4-5 months because my system slowed down and no amount of defraging helped. Once I started using wipers instead of the recycle bin and a registry cleaner after uninstalls (or any changes to my start folder or desktop) and running a better defrag like Perfect Disk, I have been able to go years not months with out reinstalling windows. I'm on three years now on three computers, no make that two (one had a hard drive fail and I had to reinstall from an image) without a reinstall.

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Delta B.C. Canada
    Posts
    10,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    When I first started building and operating PC's I used to format and reinstall every 4-5 months because my system slowed down and no amount of defraging helped. Once I started using wipers instead of the recycle bin and a registry cleaner after uninstalls (or any changes to my start folder or desktop) and running a better defrag like Perfect Disk, I have been able to go years not months with out reinstalling windows. I'm on three years now on three computers, no make that two (one had a hard drive fail and I had to reinstall from an image) without a reinstall.

    Its like that " Free software " but turns out to be a shareware program that you tired and liked but the free time period expired , so what does one do ?


    A good Reg cleaner will find the armadillo software that limits the time trial so one can reinstall with out setting the clock . Many ways to skin a cat eh ?

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,734
    For me its CCleaner + Tuneup utilities 07 = Fuck yes.

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Delta B.C. Canada
    Posts
    10,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    For me its CCleaner + Tuneup utilities 07 = Fuck yes.

    Best of both worlds then ! My set up too . To be honest they both miss a lot of shit ! I can run RegSurpreme it may find a different error .

    I don't know what it means tho as I said I try so many programs , but when I uninstall them I want them gone !
    Last edited by peat moss; 12-24-2006 at 08:58 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •