Thread: Graphics card causing reboot?

Poster
    I got a new HDD installed into my PC and when I was connecting my montior back to the Geforce6800U, I pushed it in quite firmly which caused my PC to reboot and no signal to go through to the monitor. However, when I hard-reset the PC the monitor came on fine. It seems when the cable gets pushed too hard, it causes a reboot. Is there any reason behind this? The second input port for a second monitor, which I use, doesn't do this.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I always power down my computer before connecting any thing . Thats only common sense as I'm afraid I'll short out something like the mobo ?

Not just turn the power off but unplug the power cable as well , why take chances ?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    I always power down my computer before connecting any thing . Thats only common sense as I'm afraid I'll short out something like the mobo ?

Not just turn the power off but unplug the power cable as well , why take chances ?
    I agree except for USB devices.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    I got a new HDD installed into my PC and when I was connecting my montior back to the Geforce6800U, I pushed it in quite firmly which caused my PC to reboot and no signal to go through to the monitor. However, when I hard-reset the PC the monitor came on fine. It seems when the cable gets pushed too hard, it causes a reboot. Is there any reason behind this? The second input port for a second monitor, which I use, doesn't do this.
    Yes, the first port when pushed too hard most likely moves the graphic card in its pci slot, the mobo won't like this, the second port is probably fixed better to the casing(nearer to the screw) which stops any movement.

As the guys above have said, turn it off and unplug before adding or removing anything apart from usb devices.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    agreed with above... realized that mistake the hard way