Thread: .mpc Files

ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    As the topic says. I downloaded Blurs newest album "Think Tank", and the files is .mpc. Anyone know what program can open them?

2. Music   -   #2
    porkshit
    just try renaming them to *.mp3 and see fi they play

3. Music   -   #3
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Nope renaming it didn`t work, so please if anyone just know which program should be used for thses files just take 2 seconds of your time and tell me ok?

4. Music   -   #4
    Originally posted by Barky@17 May 2003 - 21:28
    As the topic says. I downloaded Blurs newest album "Think Tank", and the files is .mpc. Anyone know what program can open them?
    Please follow this link: MPC -> MP3 : any known problem ?

They state there in a question/answer topic:
    One of the greatest drawback of using MPCs is they can&#39;t be read by hardware Mp3 decoders. They only way to manage it would be to keep the ripped tracks on a PC in MPC format, then translate them to MP3 when needed.

Does anybody know a study about MPC to Mp3 conversion ? Since both format do not use the same encoding schemes AND psychoacoustic models, can&#39;t any artifact arise from this reencoding (event with very good mp3 encoders and high rates parameters) ? I mean more artifacts than directly reencoding the tracks from CD to Mp3 with same parameters ?

There may be some additional loss due to the file having been encoded to one lossy format (mpc) and then to another (mp3). So you have whatever loss was introduced when the mpc encodign was done added to the loss introduced when the mp3 encodign is done. If the mpc encoding is of a high enough quality and the mp3 encoding is done at as high a quality as possible the loss should be acceptable. There should be no artifacts present that would be special to the transcoding process. Keep in mind though that there can be some loss introduced when decoding a file to wav before the encode to mp3 and I haven&#39;t kept up much with how flawlessly the mpc decoder is working as I haven&#39;t had to decode anything myself so you may want to research that a bit. In the end though you should have files that you can easily live with if they&#39;re going to be played on a portable player.

At the moment I am using MPPDEC to convert MPC to WAV. Do you know if there are programms that convert or decode MPC directly into MP3?
    Here&#39;s another Interesting Link...

Hope this helps

5. Music   -   #5
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    I actually found that second link minutes before and was gonna post it. Guess you beat me to it
    But yea thanks for the help