Thread: Cookie Cutter Torrent Sites

chip19's Avatar a chip off ol' death BT Rep: +4
    So, I've just recently got into the whole private tracker scene. However, I can't help but notice that the sign-ups for every last one of them looks exactly the same. The same fields in the sign-up form, the same confirmation code, the same confirmation e-mail, and even a similar overall site UI. What I was wondering is where do people get the template for this (since it is obvious that they all started with the same template). Is this something that I could do myself, or is it exclusive? Is this like some kind of open source app that runs on a server and you just change the colors and logos?

Thanks in advance to whoever can answer my question... I'm just wondering is all, and I may want to setup something like this for a couple buddies of mine and I to share some guitar loops and stuff we record.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    It would be best if you just used public trackers to host your files.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Chi Pheo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    In your case, you can do like gamer4ever said by using www.megaupload.com, www.yousendit.com or www.rapidshare.de . Or, you can start a forum basically using open source code then open a room for sharing stuff with permission to get in or only visible for members using php or vBulletin.

" Knowing nothing is the true knowledge. "

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    kavalchuk17's Avatar Something RETIRED BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    yeah, id go with Chi Pheo's suggestion, but if you dod want to start a tracker, you'll need a server. Would you like some more info?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I have a couple Linux servers with nothing to do at home. I also have a server hosted at Bluehost that I have root access to and can install whatever I want.

I like the idea of creating a forum and using rapidshare because it is practical, but this little question of mine is more out of curiosity than anything. I am trying to learn the mechanics behind how all this stuff works.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by chip19
    What I was wondering is where do people get the template for this (since it is obvious that they all started with the same template). Is this something that I could do myself, or is it exclusive? Is this like some kind of open source app that runs on a server and you just change the colors and logos?
    most trackers use the torrentbits source code which is based on php

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=141151

if you need help with php, tbdev has a forum for support

http://www.tbdev.net/index.php

almost every tracker (that uses the torrentbits source code) has modified it in some way
    Last edited by hooker; 12-26-2006 at 06:02 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    pECi's Avatar ZOMG!! Torrent PLSSS BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    also azureus has an integrated tracker u can share files with it...or the best choice...set up a ftp
    http://metal.iplay.ro/pic/rmtlogosig.gif

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Your best bet would be to use TBDEV as someone else mentioned.
    Most of the PRIVATE trackers out their use this source code and then modify it to their tastes. Some stay with the basic code others change most of the code.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Thanks to everyone... big help I think I'll set it up on my LAN for a bit to test and see how much bandwidth is used, but then I'll see how it works for what I wanted to do.