Thread: Some Questions..

imported_The__One
    Hello ppl,

I just got a "passed down" comp, a P3 1Ghz w256 of RAM....however, Windows XP provides very little info on the hardware (what kind of RAM I'm using, bus speed, vido memory...) So I'd like to know if anyone knows of a good "hardware info" program, that tells U stuff like what mobo U have, what kind of RAM (SDRAM, DDR RAM PC2100, PC2700..) and stuff like that, it would be VERY usefull

Also, the system came "equipped" with a video card that is best discribed as no video card at all...just to give U an idea, the manufacturer is IBM . So I dug up an old Geforce 2 MX-400, 64MB, PCI card I had lying around, but when I insert the card and turn on the comp, all I get is a black screen...absolutely nothing . I've already tried disabling the other card (onboard, so I can't remove it) but nothing seems to help

Any help would be very mutch apperciated

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Very Large Member
    A link for Si Soft Sandra Pro 2003 full version is on its way.Check your PM mate.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Very Large Member
    Originally posted by The__One@18 May 2003 - 01:28

Also, the system came "equipped" with a video card that is best discribed as no video card at all...just to give U an idea, the manufacturer is IBM . So I dug up an old Geforce 2 MX-400, 64MB, PCI card I had lying around, but when I insert the card and turn on the comp, all I get is a black screen...absolutely nothing . I've already tried disabling the other card (onboard, so I can't remove it) but nothing seems to help

Im probably wrong but do you have to install any drivers before installing the video card?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    imported_The__One
    Well, first of all, thanks for the PM And I should not have to install any drivers before installing the card, specially with windows XP. The card even worked (sort of) on another system without having to install any drivers beforehand...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Have you tried to reset your cmos? Also is their an option in the bios to display agp card instead of onboard. It should be called initial display first or something like that.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Belarc will do a complete inventory of all software and hardware in your PC. And it's free.

XP should auto-detect hardware and install the drivers for you(if you're online). But, finding out what mobo you have may yield the answers to your video card problems.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    but when I insert the card and turn on the comp, all I get is a black screen...absolutely nothing
    Are you saying that you don't even see the POST Power On Self Test? (The first black screen with the white text.)

If that's the situation there is some setting in the BIOS that is not set right. Run one of those tests or look at the motherboard itself and see if you can identify what make and model it is. Sometimes you can see the model displayed within that POST screen.

Once we have some info about what motherboard it is we might be able to help with that video card problem.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    imported_The__One
    I just found the comp on IBM's site (it's an IBM computer, barebones), here