• Yes

19 44.19%
  • No

24 55.81%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death Sentance

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    I disagree with the death penalty, as I have explained before.

It does not prevent crime...
    How can you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by CrabGirl View Post
    To keep someone alive without freedom, to deny them access to their loved ones or things, to shame them every single day, to humiliate them, to take away their rights, including the right to die, and to make them suffer is a better way to punish someone than giving them the early release of death.
    I don't know how things are in the U.K., but here in the U.S., shaming or humiliating prisoners, or taking away their rights (BTW-where is the "right to die" enumerated?) is frowned upon.

I also think that drugs trials should be performed on lifers and all sex offenders be permanently chemically castrated, but hey, maybe that's just me.
    Oh, complete agreement, there.

Absolutely and without reservation.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    I also think that drugs trials should be performed on lifers and all sex offenders be permanently chemically castrated, but hey, maybe that's just me.
    Great idea.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky View Post
    Definitely against it.

I agree with JP and Crabgirl.

It's also not our place to judge, no matter what that person has done.

Let them rot in jail in solitary confinement if we're 100% sure of their guilt.
    Not our place to judge? How would a person get sentenced?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    How can you say that?
    How can you say it does? Has the murder rate increased in any US state that has abolished the death penalty?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Anyone that says the death penalty is not a deterrent makes no sense at all.

Saying that is saying that death can't be a deterrent, as if no one is afraid to die.

That's bullshit. Search yourselves and think. Are you merely looking at the fact that people still commit murders to say that the death penalty isn't a deterrent? Is it a numbers game?

"See, he killed her in a death penalty state. He wasn't deterred."

Besides that, if one says that the penalty serves no purpose, I disagree.

Eliminating a person from the state having to take care of them eliminates a huge financial burden. Also one thing going against the death penalty is the length of time it takes to actually put a person to death and the beyond a reasonable doubt crap.

The evidence to put someone to death should be beyond overwhelming and not just "well we felt it was just enough evidence".

I'm for the death penalty in certain heinous murder cases but I wish there some way to just exile the motherfuckers. I wish there was a "prison" that you'd just dump the convict in that the rest of society wouldn't have to pay for or manage in any way.

Absent that, let's bring back the firing squad, hangings, or institute "beat the shit out of a motherfucker" or simply "bust their head to the white meat with a large rock".

Humane death penalties are de dumest ting on de ert.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    ...not even if it would bring all of those he inhumanely murdered, back to life.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post

How can you say it does? Has the murder rate increased in any US state that has abolished the death penalty?
    Do you think there is no one that thought about that punishment and decided to fuck off instead of committing that crime.

Tbh, I think it's less of deterrent cuz the punishment isn't clear to the public. It's an extreme punishment that one rarely hears about happening or better yet, sees happening.

I think it needs public "in your face" treatment. Death is horrific and needs to be seen as such.

People are gonna take chances but if faced with what actually happens, they are less likely.

People still fuck raw dawg even though AIDS is out there ffs. They think it won't happen to them.
    I bet if there were folks around them with the monkey, they'd think again.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 12-30-2006 at 05:53 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Absent that, let's bring back the firing squad, hangings, or institute "beat the shit out of a motherfucker" or simply "bust their head to the white meat with a large rock".

Humane death penalties are de dumest ting on de ert.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    That's bullshit. Search yourselves and think. Are you merely looking at the fact that people still commit murders to say that the death penalty isn't a deterrent? Is it a numbers game?
    Yes it's a numbers game, how else can you gauge whether or not the death penalty is more of a deterrent than life in prison?

If that were true the figures would bear it out, in states that stopped executing people the murder rate would go up, in states that re-introduced it, the murder rate would decrease.

Is that the case?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post

I can say that it does because nobody who has ever been put to death for murder has ever murdered again.

Would you care to argue the fact at all (at all).

For you to say that it does not deter would require that you somehow determine precisely how many people do or do not kill based on the existence (or not) of a death penalty.

Would you please tell us how you would go about gathering reliable data relative to that point.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast