Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Music/video Indrustries Are Fighting Bak

Because of the recent ruling of declaring P2P programs legal the record/movie companies are going to be making more harmful viruses.... go here and read the article.

One method is a "Trojan horse" program that simply redirects users to Web sites where they can legitimately buy the songs they had tried to download.

Another locks up a computer for a certain amount of time, minutes or hours, risking the loss of data that was not saved if the user restarts the computer, the paper reported.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Old news, but still interesting. I really don't think they are even using those techniques. I believe its a scare tactic to keep the newbies from expanding their horizons.
    Proud member of MDS

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    They couldn't do this. Doing this is more illegal than trading music and movies and can ruin them. I.E. being sued, gov dismantling their corporation and putting THEM in prison. That would be great.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by downloader2008@12 May 2003 - 17:01
    Because of the recent ruling of declaring P2P programs legal
    Do you have a link for this info. I would like to read about it.

Thanks -

TS

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I think it's in the other P2P section on our board.

Basically a judge ruled the Grokster had "substainal non-infringing uses," just like when the VCR was put on trial.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Well, the industry is "fighting back" in the media. They are bringing the filesharing question to the public wherever they can. For example, on the recent cover of Spectrum Magazine (the magazine for the Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers - IEEE), they show a "scary" graphic to theme their issue, Invasion Of the Music Snatchers!:

And just this morning, an RIAA spokesman was on CSPAN to discuss the file-sharing situation with Gigi Sohn, from the "Public Knowledge" group. As a matter of fact, CSPAN opened up phone lines for callers, pro and con, and I just couldn't resist trying to dial in ... and, as luck would have it, they got me on. I brought up the $400,000,000 theft of music consumers courtesy of the music industry. I also brought up last year's settlement of the multi-state antitrust lawsuit which only required the industry to pay back between $143-$144 million. And, I asked point-blank -- "What happened to the $256,000,000?" And I also asked why he thought it was OK for the industry to rip off the public but it wasn't OK for the public to rip off the industry.

And...

I captured it on RealVideo. You will need RealPlayer software to view it. And, though it's a streaming download, it still constitutes a download. So, rather than provide "links" I can only provide locations you'll have to cut/paste into your browser location window:

If you're a broadband user, visit here --- www.novelhost.net/riaa-hi.ram.

If you're a 56k modem user, visit here -- www.novelhost.net/riaa-lo.ram.

Note how the RIAA guy sidesteps the question about where the $256,000,000 is ... as if we all don't know. B)

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by Kabal@13 May 2003 - 06:08
    They couldn't do this. Doing this is more illegal than trading music and movies and can ruin them. I.E. being sued, gov dismantling their corporation and putting THEM in prison. That would be great.
    Not if they move the office where they launch these tactis to Bermuda or some country like that. I think.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Incidentally, you might want to click on that link to Spectrum Magazine in my last post. There are a few articles available online that might be of interest to P2P users.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    OlderThanDirt You are awesome!

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Love in the video link, they never seem to take responsibilty that they have ripped the public off. I realized something while watching the clip and was wondering what you all thought. You all know how poeple get together and someone might sing an artists song. Well on of my friends was singing and playing guitar to for a song last night. Wouldn't it be legal for him to sing a song that Metallica sings. I mean this is a country of free speech. So if I can play their song than why can't I share it with friends as long as I don't profit from it. If people recognize this and filesharing copyrighted material is somehow gets blocked do this method. I am sure there are plenty of good singers out there and band members. If these musicians think they have a special talent, they are in for a rude awakening becasue there are millions of people who could sing their songs just as good. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast