Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: WWII Debt

  1. #1
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,006
    The UK has now cleared it's debt, in relation to WWII, owed to the USA and Canada.

    It's not too bad, we only had to pay back twice the original amount. Very favourable interest rates.

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    We didn't HAVE to pay most of it back, we chose to, unlike the Australians, who still haven't coughed up for the Sydney Harbour Bridge!

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    The UK has now cleared it's debt, in relation to WWII, owed to the USA and Canada.

    It's not too bad, we only had to pay back twice the original amount. Very favourable interest rates.
    Thanks, awfully.

    Don't know that there are any others who bothered; France, for example...

    Oh, right.

    That was just lives, not materiel.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Don't know that there are any others who bothered; France, for example...
    I wouldn't swear to this, but I think you'll find the US offered to forgive the war debt, the UK turned them down and chose to pay, maybe the French, if they had a debt, chose to take the US up on the offer.

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Don't know that there are any others who bothered; France, for example...
    I wouldn't swear to this, but I think you'll find the US offered to forgive the war debt, the UK turned them down and chose to pay, maybe the French, if they had a debt, chose to take the US up on the offer.
    I wouldn't doubt either scenario.

    The Brits have always been stand-up, the French, not so much.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post

    I wouldn't swear to this, but I think you'll find the US offered to forgive the war debt, the UK turned them down and chose to pay
    They probably didn't want to have to listen to American tourists making comments about "bailing your asses out" for the next millennium

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    The UK has now cleared it's debt, in relation to WWII, owed to the USA and Canada.
    Canada says "Thank you."

    things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,006
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post

    I wouldn't swear to this, but I think you'll find the US offered to forgive the war debt, the UK turned them down and chose to pay
    They probably didn't want to have to listen to American tourists making comments about "bailing your asses out" for the next millennium
    Unfortunately we still had to tho'.

  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,006
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    The UK has now cleared it's debt, in relation to WWII, owed to the USA and Canada.
    Canada says "Thank you."

    As ever a pleasure doing business with you.

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    They probably didn't want to have to listen to American tourists making comments about "bailing your asses out" for the next millennium
    As opposed to 'saving your asses', and 'you'd all be talking German'?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •