Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BitTorrent - Hidden IPs ?

Poster BT Rep: +1
    I've noticed something strange with certain Torrent transfers that I can't figure out.
    There's been a few torrents recently where the swarm has been small - only 1/2 seeds, maybe half a dozen peers max.
    Currently using uTorrent - which displayed (for example) 0(2) seeds - 0 connected - 2 in swarm, yet the torrent was able to download to completion. Using DHT/PEX. I assume if my client couldn't connect to the seeds and the others could then my client would get the required data from the other peers which could connect to the seeds.
    Q - Anyone know why my client couldn't connect to the seeds and more importantly didn't display their IPs ?

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a way to hide your IP when doing torrent transfers.

Cheers/TIA, r

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Hanz™'s Avatar making the world go BT Rep: +3
    "I'm beginning to wonder if there is a way to hide your IP when doing torrent transfers."
    No.
    Even if they were using a proxy you would still know their IP addresses.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    You would see the proxies address at least if they were using it within their client.

As far as the completion bit. Its possible to complete a file even if there are 0 seeders... as long as 100% of the desired file is scattered about throughout the swarm you can complete it.
    Ex: Bob has 25%, Mary has %25, Larry has %25, and you have 25%.
    As long as you all have differant pieces of the desired complete set... as long as you all share your pieces with each other then you can all complete the file.
    If Bob left for instance then nobody could complete the file unless Bob came back, tbe missing pieces in the swarm suddenly are found, or unless a seeder came back.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    The Murder Mile
    Quote Originally Posted by Melvinmeow View Post
    If Bob left for instance then nobody could complete the file unless Bob came back...
    Damn Bob, he's always running away...

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Melvinmeow View Post
    You would see the proxies address at least if they were using it within their client.

As far as the completion bit. Its possible to complete a file even if there are 0 seeders... as long as 100% of the desired file is scattered about throughout the swarm you can complete it.
    Ex: Bob has 25%, Mary has %25, Larry has %25, and you have 25%.
    As long as you all have differant pieces of the desired complete set... as long as you all share your pieces with each other then you can all complete the file.
    If Bob left for instance then nobody could complete the file unless Bob came back, tbe missing pieces in the swarm suddenly are found, or unless a seeder came back.
    Yeah - I hear you. Thanks to all who replied.
    I'm still not sure why uTorrent didn't connect to any seeds at all throughout the entire session even though it seemed to know they were there 0(2).
    uTorrent obviously doesn't display IPs it doesn't connect to - not sure about Azureus et all.
    I've seen this before and it's puzzled me before - it's not snubbing it just doesn't connect and I'm at a loss to figure out why it doesn't.
    Oh well.. another of life's unsolved mysteries !

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by reachnet View Post
    I've seen this before and it's puzzled me before - it's not snubbing it just doesn't connect and I'm at a loss to figure out why it doesn't.
    they could be using IP blocking software and you're on their blocklist, they could be using azureus and a plugin like stuffer, that blocks your client id, they could be inaccessible to you for any number of networking reasons. it's no big deal, as long as your client shows more than 1.0 distributed copy.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lysine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reachnet View Post
    they could be using IP blocking software and you're on their blocklist, they could be using azureus and a plugin like stuffer, that blocks your client id, they could be inaccessible to you for any number of networking reasons. it's no big deal, as long as your client shows more than 1.0 distributed copy.

Very true and thanks for the insight. Appreciated.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    You could also be unconnectable and all the peers your client was trying to connect to were unconnectable as well. Kinda unlikely but it is a possibility.

Or as mentioned your ip could be in a blocklist.

Or your client banned from connecting to the site...

Its ussually best to check the error column in your client to see if it has provided any feedback about tracker issues itself. But im guessing if it was showing peers it wasnt an issue with the tracker itself so more of a ip block thing or possibly your isp blocking torrents in general.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Maybe you have encryption enabled, and its set only to only accept the protocol encryption thingy (Forced). Just a thought, as I look at my utorrent settings.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Nah - my present ISP doesn't currently throttle BT transfers - Don't need to use encryption at the mo - thankfully I don't live in Canada ! .
    As far as errors go - I'll check the next time the situation arises.
    Thanks to all.

r

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast