Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you really need ssl encryption for newsgroups?

I can't decide which usenet I should get. It's either newshosting or giganews. Newshosting is cheaper, but doesn't have ssl encrytion and giganews is more expensive, but has ssl encryption. I was wondering which one is better and do you really need ssl encryption if usenet is already safe enough. thanks.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    If you are in a pretty civilized country without ISP spies at your door it shouldn't be a problem to skip the SSL thingie.

If you where to get caught doing anything it would be through you account on the server anyway (like they go to Giganews and requests account info because you are uploading).

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    I didn't get your last sentence. Do you mean that i do not need the ssl encrytion. thanks for replying to my posts.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    You can skip SSL.

Giganews/Newshosting won't give away any name/account info if there is no court order. And nobody cares who is downloading, just the ones uploading.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    DISABLED PRIVS
    SSL encryption for newsgroups is totally useless and a waste of money.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Hanz™'s Avatar making the world go BT Rep: +3
    SSL is not needed. It just makes noobs feel safer.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    thanks for the reply guys

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    it probably make your download speed slower aswell being encrpyted on the fly .

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Total waste of money unless you think someone will intercept your packets before reaching the server and, unless you're a high priority criminal or terrorist, i don't see that happening. But if you are then the government/agency would just go to the newsgroup provider directly

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    SSL for the usenet is not completely useless. Sometimes ISPs will use traffic shaping to throttle the speeds of specific types of traffic like Usenet (NNTP), using SSL prevents this. Also I use it so that I can download bins at work and nobody knows It's 100Mb line

Also, screw giganews, if you need SSL try Usenetserver, they offer SSL access free with all acounts. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast