Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needing To Add A Second Hd

Poster
    but i've never done it before. i've installed modems and cdrw's and stuff so i kinda know what goes where. but i want to have 2 hardrives one the main and the second one to be used mainly for storage od downloads. mainly movies from kazaalite. the second hd already has an OS microsoft ME on it. does it need to stay like that even if i just want it for space?

does anyone have any tutorials or tips on how i shouls get this done?
    on my mainhd i'm using windows 98 and have a pentium 2 433mhz 64 mb sdram. please help!
    PLEASE help me get my Free IPOD! my brother got his 4 days ago and i need help with referrals. the screensavers just aired a story and it works. Just use my referral link and i suggest the 2 week blockbuster trial. you won't owe anything! http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10154369

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I would wipe me since it is crap unless you want to use it.

then just install it like you did your cd-rw and make sure you set your jumper on it to slave.

then go into the bios and auto detect it.

windows should recognise it straight away.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    March 11th's issue of PCMag had a good tutorial on how to upgrade your hard drive. It had text, along with pictures included.

Here's a web link to that months article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,887937,00.asp

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Warning make backups of any data you want to keep from the new drive now.

Create a startup diskette in your current setup. (Start>Control Panel>Add Remove Programs>Startup diskette tab.)
    Disconnect your current drive.
    Connect the new one.
    Startup your PC and enter the BIOS, do a harddisk detection and save settings and exit.
    Bootup with the Windows 98 startup diskette.
    At the prompt type fdisk and Y to large disk support.
    Delete any partitions you have there.
    Create new one(s) and reboot to the prompt again.
    Type Format C: to format the drive. And format any other partitions if you made more than one.
    Power down your PC when the format is complete.
    Reconnect you old system drive as Primary Master.
    Connect the newer drive as Primairy Slave. (Check the drive stickers and jumpers)
    Startup your PC and enter the BIOS, do a harddisk detection and save settings and exit.
    Reboot without the diskette and once back in Windows you should see the drive(s) in 'My Computer'

Ready for use.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    will it be ok to wipe the OS off of the second drive? all i will be using it for is storage so i would like to delete everything off of the hd if thats possible. i cant get the link from pcmag to work though.

also how would i go into the bios to auto-detect it. forgive me but i'm not a pro on these things.
    PLEASE help me get my Free IPOD! my brother got his 4 days ago and i need help with referrals. the screensavers just aired a story and it works. Just use my referral link and i suggest the 2 week blockbuster trial. you won't owe anything! http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10154369

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...=25396&hl=slave

ehh that thread might help i made it a while back...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by ripley02@18 May 2003 - 17:46
    will it be ok to wipe the OS off of the second drive? all i will be using it for is storage so i would like to delete everything off of the hd if thats possible. i cant get the link from pcmag to work though.

also how would i go into the bios to auto-detect it. forgive me but i'm not a pro on these things.
    If you do the steps I posted, your drive will be wiped clean. (empty space)

As for how to get into the BIOS?
    When you first power on your computer keep pressing the [DEL] key until you see the BIOS setup screen. (Some motherboards use different keys, try F1 or look it up in the motherboard manual.)

There is usually a message that appears briefly as you startup you computer. Looks something like: [Press [DEL] to enter CMOS or BIOS]

If you still have problems getting into the BIOS, please tell us your motherboard maker and model. We can then help you more precisely.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@18 May 2003 - 20:35
    Warning make backups of any data you want to keep from the new drive now.

Create a startup diskette in your current setup. (Start>Control Panel>Add Remove Programs>Startup diskette tab.)
    Disconnect your current drive.
    Connect the new one.
    Bootup with the Windows 98 startup diskette.
    At the prompt type fdisk and Y to large disk support.
    Delete any partitions you have there.
    Create new one(s) and reboot to the prompt again.
    Type Format C: to format the drive. And format any other partitions if you made more than one.
    Power down your PC when the format is complete.

Reconnect you old system drive as Primary Master.
    Connect the newer drive as Primairy Slave. (Check the drive stickers and jumpers)
    Reboot without the diskette and once back in Windows you should see the drive(s) in 'My Computer'

Ready for use.
    so for the process where i'm going to format the second drive it should be set as primary master right?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    This is what u need to do, fact!! no messing about

Set the jumper on the 2nd hdd to either slave or cable select
    (assuming for cable select that u place the hdd on the 2nd ide connector that the 1st hdd is on - the 1st connector is the one at the end of the cable)

make sure that the 1st hdd is set to master (or again cable select)

In the bios check the boot order, some bios' only boot from one device on one ide cable, depending on the setting given by the jumper - in most cases it will always be the master, others allow u to choose he individual ide connector to boot from. u can set for cdrom or hdd (in any order) or as mine, ide0:0 which is the 1st ide cable and 1st connector/device ( ide0:0 is C: (1st ide slot 1st device) ide0:1 is D: (1st slot 2nd device) ide1:0 (2nd slot 1st device )is my cdrw and ide1:1 (etc) is my dvdrom)

Hook the drive up, let the bios detect the hdd and boot to windows, since the bios is only accessing the boot sector from the ide cable determind in the bios it wont boot from the os on the 2nd hdd

right click the hdd in windows ( u might want to change drive letters or not, ill explain that if u want l8r) then format

nice and simple, no need to mess with boot up discs or anything like that

Terminology

ide - the type of connector format and data transfer
    Connector - the bit on the end of the cable that connects the cable to the device
    ide slot - the connector that connects the motherboard to the cable

Xanex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast