Thread: Windows Xp Home CD

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    after putting things of for a while, im wanting to do a re-install of XP, but i dont have a XP disk, is there any xp home disks that will work, or do i have to get a certain one, or is there anything else i can do.
    i do have a legit copy of xp, but didnt get a windows disk, just a reinstall disk which also does alot of other things which i dont want.

cheers, livy

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    You should be able to use your (presumably) legit product key with any version of XP Home (except possibly an Upgrade version).
    Assuming the install accepts your PID, the worst that might happen is the need to call for activation.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    My pc came with XP Home but when I installed XP Pro my legit Home key didn't work. I had to get a Pro key, I guess.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    You should be able to use your (presumably) legit product key with any version of XP Home (except possibly an Upgrade version).
    Assuming the install accepts your PID, the worst that might happen is the need to call for activation.
    yeah, the key is legit, it came with my laptop when i bought it,
    it just didnt have windows xp disk, just a set of restore disks.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    You cannot use a product key from an OEM(Dell, HP et al) for an original Windows XP install and vice versa.

You're only option is to use the "restore" disk or, as on some brands of PCs, the "restore" partition of the harddrive, which is accessed by pressing a particular key upon boot-up.

OEM, XP home, XP Pro and XP Corporate keys are not interchangeable.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    biggie944's Avatar If i can give i will BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    You could just download an xp pro corporate torrent these dont need activation and there is plenty of WGA cracks out there so u can use windows update.