Thread: External Hard Drive Error

adriand

Question Mark

I purchased a SEAGATE ST3320620U2-RK 3.5" 320GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE frpm PC World and Im storing my Xvids on it. The only problem is that some how every time I try to access it or drop other Xvids in my hard drive switches off. Microsoft error reporting leads me to This problem was caused by XviD. Any ideas ?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    It seems very unlikely that the type of file that you are copying to the disk has anything to do with this sort of failure, but can I suggest you try copying another type of file of similar size and see what happens.

Also, if you post the exact error message we may have a better idea of deciphering what the message means.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    It seems very unlikely that the type of file that you are copying to the disk has anything to do with this sort of failure, but can I suggest you try copying another type of file of similar size and see what happens.
    Just this week I had a customer with a somewhat similar issue but he was plagued by file size, not type.
    Turns out his external drive had been formatted FAT32 for some unknown reason and the fix was to simply reformat to NTFS.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg