Thread: Punk

I was inspired by the Good Charlotte post to ask what is punk?
    And I am not just saying what music is punk but what makes a person a punk because I see more and more people going around calling themsealfs punk and its kinda disturbing so tell me what do you think makes a person punk?

2. Music   -   #2
    BANNED
    guitatist who play only 5th chords

lyrics that arnt really serious
    singers that cant sing well
    image wise guitar strap that go down to there knees
    fast drum playing
    fast guitar and repeated bass lines
    nice sound muted guitars

yes i agree alot of bands these days despise themselves as being punk and its a funny question becasue its hard to say u know what punk is when u hear it but just cant say what it is so ive put a list there of the first things that come to my head

3. Music   -   #3
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Punk Rock returned rock & roll to the basics -- three chords and a simple melody. It just did it louder and faster and more abrasively than any other rock & roll in the past. Although there had been several bands to flirt with what became known as punk rock -- including the garage rockers of the '60s and the Velvet Underground, the Stooges, and the New York Dolls -- it wasn't until the mid-'70s that punk became its own genre. On both sides of the Atlantic, young bands began forsaking the sonic excesses that distinguished mainstream hard rock and stripping the music down to its essentials. In New York, the first punk band was the Ramones; in London, the first punk band was the Sex Pistols. Although the bands had different agendas and sounds -- the Ramones were faster and indebted to bubblegum, while the Pistols played Faces riffs sloppier and louder than the Faces themselves -- the direct approach of the bands revolutionized music in both the U.K. and the U.S. In America, punk remained an underground sensation, eventually spawning the hardcore and indie-rock scenes of the '80s, but in the UK, it was a full-scale phenomenon. In the U.K., the Sex Pistols were thought of as a serious threat to the well-being of the government and monarchy, but more importantly, they caused countless bands to form. Some of the bands stuck close to the Pistols' original blueprint, but many found their own sound, whether it was the edgy pop of the Buzzcocks, the anthemic, reggae-informed rock of the Clash, or the arty experiments of Wire and Joy Division. Soon, punk splintered into post-punk (which was more experimental and artier than punk), new wave (which was more pop-oriented), and hardcore, which simply made punk harder, faster, and more abrasive. Throughout the '80s, punk was identified with the hardcore scenes in both America and England. In the early '90s, a wave of punk revivalists -- led by Green Day and Rancid -- emerged from the American underground. The new wave of punk rockers followed the same template as the original punks, but they tended to incorporate elements of heavy metal into their sound.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

4. Music   -   #4
    Poster
    amen

5. Music   -   #5
    cant argue with that

6. Music   -   #6
    Poster
    yeah.....great times.....I was a UK punk in the 79/80`s.......some good bands in the UK, like the ruts, x-ray specs, etc........

cheers,
    Bass.

7. Music   -   #7
    Originally posted by adthomp@19 May 2003 - 13:02

lyrics that arnt really serious
    singers that cant sing well
    fast guitar and repeated bass lines

Ok to start of with I think that most punk bands have good lyrics, like Bad Religion, Operation Ivy, Anti Flag to name a few.
    Some of them can sing for example how about AFI.
    Tim Armstrong from rancid plays great bass lines usually better than alot of rock bands.

8. Music   -   #8
    BANNED
    Ok to start of with I think that most punk bands have good lyrics, like Bad Religion, Operation Ivy, Anti Flag to name a few.
    Tim Armstrong from rancid plays great bass lines usually better than alot of rock bands.
    yes u are right I was just refering to all the punk bands who think thats all it is these days

9. Music   -   #9
    Originally posted by adthomp@20 May 2003 - 07:10
    yes u are right I was just refering to all the punk bands who think thats all it is these days
    aww I see my apoligies I miss understood