Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Congratulations To Us, The Opinionated

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Our ranks (those who care to DEBATE, DISCUSS, and SOLVE) are growing nicely-while we may never take over the reins, perhaps we could invite the power-mongers in for a look-see-maybe they would/could learn something.

Seriously-

It's cooking pretty good here these days-perhaps we should think about petitioning the mods to re-name this section to reflect the need to discuss politics/international affairs, etc., on an ongoing basis; the current heading seems a bit out-moded by now.

Any thoughts?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Good call, a "Current Affairs" section would be better than having the "War in Iraq" title. The Lounge doesn't seem the right place to discuss the more serious aspects of life. We got a Bookworld so there is hope!!
    Signature removed

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Great idea, j2!

Mikey likes it!

Why not just call it "Ongoing Discussion"?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Originally posted by clocker@19 May 2003 - 12:14
    Great idea, j2!

Mikey likes it!

Why not just call it "Ongoing Discussion"?
    When I saw you'd replied, I thought, "He'll have a tough time finding a picture for this"-I stand corrected.

I forgot to add to the my original post the following:

"...and make this a permanent part of the forum".

Speaking of Mikey 'liking it'.....

Okay-that's two of you-
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5

Mikeys worldwide like it!

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Originally posted by j2k4+19 May 2003 - 15:25--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 19 May 2003 - 15:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Our ranks (those who care to DEBATE, DISCUSS, and SOLVE) are growing nicely-while we may never take over the reins, perhaps we could invite the power-mongers in for a look-see-maybe they would/could learn something.

Seriously-

It&#39;s cooking pretty good here these days-perhaps we should think about petitioning the mods to re-name this section to reflect the need to discuss politics/international affairs, etc., on an ongoing basis; the current heading seems a bit out-moded by now.

Any thoughts?[/b]

J2K4 the idea is brilliant,

I can remember a contemptuous but prescient newbie posting something like this on April 19th.

<!--QuoteBegin--hobbes
    @19 April 2003 - 20:17
    " Seems that this forum has sort of selected out the more serious type of poster and there has been a rather inspiring exchange of ideas and view points. Trust me, I come from the Anarchy Online forum (just an online game) and this is so much more enjoyable. I don&#39;t have to re-invent the wheel everyday.

Shame we can&#39;t somehow preserve this more mature area so we are not thrown back in the "Whose got the cutest butt" social forum.

Hey, I&#39;m all for taking about "boobies" and such, but it seems that more serious discussions are immisible with this silly (but healthy) banter.

What I&#39;m saying is that I don&#39;t want to be thrown back into the kiddie pool. Give us an adult section
    [/quote]

I&#39;m sure he has moved on, but his message remains.

I would only add that I would like the forum to be broader than just politics. I am more of a concepts/ ideas man. To be honest, I find political discussions to be about as interesting as watching a dog chase it&#39;s tail and equally as productive.

I think the name should be reflective of gentleman sitting in a large book lined study, stone drunk on brandy and contemplating their glass. Smoking jackets and a pipe, required.

The Drawing Room, The Parlour, The Lounge, The Inner Chamber or The Gentleman&#39;s Club.

I know the last will draw pc ire, but look at the posts in this forum, can you find any women? I don&#39;t think they enjoy these sometimes testy exchanges. We will of course allow guest passes for ladies such as Sara who don&#39;t mind exchanging punches every now and then.

I actually use bookworld for this function now, but I still find the title restrictive.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by hobbes@19 May 2003 - 21:22
    I can remember a contemptuous but prescient newbie posting something like this on April 19th.

Hmmmmmm.....
    I kinda thought that noob had it goin&#39; on-didn&#39;t feel he was contemptuous, just possessed of a forceful conviction.

Anyway, if such was the case (as I&#39;m well aware it was), I&#39;ll settle for a second on his original &#39;motion&#39;.

Might I also add: Your idea of a "Drawing Room" is, dare I say it, PERFECT?
    Would seem to summon the desired imagery.

And, as I myself can claim enlightenment as to the benefit of the distaff view, I would welcome, indeed encourage, their participation.

I propose we informally vote, or offer other suggestions, as to a name for this section, so that we might present a finished idea to the powers that be. B)

P.S.
    Another suggestion for name-"THE DEEP END"

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    The lounge is a place where hardly anything of substance is discussed.
    I think that this place should&#39;nt be associated with it at all.
    I&#39;ve made a request to a couple of admins who were responding to another post of mine and I&#39;m waiting to hear what they say.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9

Ladies and gentlemen, please come in and make yourselves comfortable...

the non-smoking section is down the hall about 400 yards...

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Originally posted by clocker@19 May 2003 - 23:06

Ladies and gentlemen, please come in and make yourselves comfortable...

the non-smoking section is down the hall about 400 yards...
    Nice architecture-when could we move in? B)

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast