Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beckham agrees to LA Galaxy Move

BANNED BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Quote Originally Posted by DefianceX View Post
    i think this move is more for marketing MLS than actually trying to improve the LA Galaxy
    i'm sure.

2. Sports Club   -   #12
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I have been following this on Fox News and I just can't imagine what they were thinking on this deal. Who is going to pay to bring in the $$$ to pay this guy? TV rights in this country to soccer are only a few bucks a year, and I don't think any US matches are broadcast outside this country, and there sure aren't very many people willing (or able!) to cough up the bucks for soccer like NFL games. Where's the winning side of this?

yo

3. Sports Club   -   #13
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    I have been following this on Fox News and I just can't imagine what they were thinking on this deal. Who is going to pay to bring in the $$$ to pay this guy? TV rights in this country to soccer are only a few bucks a year, and I don't think any US matches are broadcast outside this country, and there sure aren't very many people willing (or able!) to cough up the bucks for soccer like NFL games. Where's the winning side of this?
    I mentioned this before that the Redskins averaged almost 90,000 people a game with the average being about 70,000 for the NFL in general.

Soccer doesn't begin to crack that type of attendance. To my knowledge, the stadiums aren't even half as big. Hell some of our college stadiums are bigger than NFL stadiums.

4. Sports Club   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Does he endorse Adidas?

I remember Lebron James, before he played an NBA game and right out of high school, signed a 90 million dollar contract with Nike. That's a helluva pay day. Michael Jordan was making more on endorsements than his regular salary until he wised up and made the Bulls pay him 65 million for two years.

I wonder if they'll tell how much of Beckham's money is endorsements.
    I saw on Sky Sports News that it was broken down like this;

$10M - Wages
    $10M - Shirt Sales
    $10M - Marketing Percentage
    $20M - Current Deals with companies (Pepsie/Addidas and so on...)

per year.
    So his 250 million was a buncha hype then. 10 mil in wages is not new whatsoever.

The 250 mil announcement was basically a commercial.

5. Sports Club   -   #15
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy View Post

I saw on Sky Sports News that it was broken down like this;

$10M - Wages
    $10M - Shirt Sales
    $10M - Marketing Percentage
    $20M - Current Deals with companies (Pepsie/Addidas and so on...)

per year.
    So his 250 million was a buncha hype then. 10 mil in wages is not new whatsoever.

That's $50 million per year x 5 years = $250 million.

yo

6. Sports Club   -   #16

Okayyyyyyy and 10 mil is wages.

Lebron makes 20 mil a year in salary from the Cavs alone.

I think what makes Beckham's salary of 10 mil a stunner is that it's for....American soccer.

It's a weird paradox. Announcement of his salary might generate ticket sales. If he came over here with normal contract, we wouldn't have shit about it besides Beckham is playing over here.

Now it's about him making 250 mil versus it being about him.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 01-13-2007 at 02:27 AM.

7. Sports Club   -   #17
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

I think what makes Beckham's salary of 10 mil a stunner is that it's for....American soccer.

It's a weird paradox. Announcement of his salary might generate ticket sales. If he came over here with normal contract, we wouldn't have shit about it besides Beckham is playing over here.

Those things are actually in his contract though, so it is actually his salary. Soccer deals are weird - for starters, the league pays the players and not the teams.

yo

8. Sports Club   -   #18

Those things are actually in his contract though, so it is actually his salary. Soccer deals are weird - for starters, the league pays the players and not the teams.
    I stand corrected then.

And you are right. That is weird.

How can his endorsements be in his contract with MLS though.

Shirt sales, marketing percentage (whateverthefuck that is), and wages are understandable.

However, endorsements outside of the league should be....well....outside of the league.

Michael Jordan had endorsements through Gatorade, Ball Park Franks, MCI, Coca-Cola, Nike, Hanes, and Rayovac but I doubt the NBA wrote the checks for them.

9. Sports Club   -   #19
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

I stand corrected then.

And you are right. That is weird.

How can his endorsements be in his contract with MLS though.

Shirt sales, marketing percentage (whateverthefuck that is), and wages are understandable.

However, endorsements outside of the league should be....well....outside of the league.

Michael Jordan had endorsements through Gatorade, Ball Park Franks, MCI, Coca-Cola, Nike, Hanes, and Rayovac but I doubt the NBA wrote the checks for them.
    I can't remember all the details, but there are some other really strange rules as well. One being that the salary cap for any individual player is 2.1 million/year, but each team is aloud to select just one "marquee" player who will have no salary cap.

It sounds like MLS just doesn't have a union like other American sports do.

As far as why they are writing the checks, that's the big question. Most are speculating that they are just buying human advertisement, in hopes to recoup his salary via ticket sales, merchandise, etc. I think this is more of a long term goal of gaining profits by popularizing the sport in the US as opposed to immediate revenue from say, Beckham jerseys (I doubt I'll see a single one).
    Last edited by Skizo; 01-13-2007 at 06:33 AM.

yo

10. Sports Club   -   #20
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    I expect that David and Victoria Beckham will be announced King and Queen of USA within a few years. I've been following their path to global domination for a while now so I wasn't too surprised by this move.

Silly money, but it shows that some people do believe that soccer can take off in USA and that the MLS is in a healthy condition.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast