Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Sued for Trademark Infringement Over iPhone

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Apple iPhone = iPWNED?

Everyone knew this move had to be coming. While Apple may have popularized the little "i" with products like iMac, iBook, iPod, iTunes and iLife, the iPhone name has already been taken. Cisco has owned the trademark for iPhone since 2000 when it was purchased from Infogear. Infogear originally filed for the trademark in 1996 (well before Apple jumped into the "i" business). Cisco just recently ushered the name into service with a new line of VoIP devices marketed by Cisco's Linksys division.

Although Apple and Cisco have been in talks for quite some time over the iPhone name, no agreement was ever reached. Nevertheless, Apple boldly decided yesterday to announce the iPhone at MacWorld. Cisco isn't too happy about the move and has filed a lawsuit against Apple, Inc.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, senior vice president and general counsel for Cisco. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without our permission."

Cisco isn't going down without a fight on this one and it intends to fully protect its line of iPhone products. "Today's iPhone is not tomorrow's iPhone. The potential for convergence of the home phone, cell phone, work phone and PC is limitless, which is why it is so important for us to protect our brand," said Chandler.

Source: DailyTech
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 01-11-2007 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Added iPhone pic instead of Apple Logo.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Times person of the year is "You" and companies are sueing each other over "i".

Looks like an ego year

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    SpiderPig's Avatar The Clams BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Rofl...

Those cost like 500 bucks too, my friends want one of those things.
    No Whining

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    Apple iPhone = iPWNED?

Everyone knew this move had to be coming. While Apple may have popularized the little "i" with products like iMac, iBook, iPod, iTunes and iLife, the iPhone name has already been taken. Cisco has owned the trademark for iPhone since 2000 when it was purchased from Infogear. Infogear originally filed for the trademark in 1996 (well before Apple jumped into the "i" business). Cisco just recently ushered the name into service with a new line of VoIP devices marketed by Cisco's Linksys division.

Although Apple and Cisco have been in talks for quite some time over the iPhone name, no agreement was ever reached. Nevertheless, Apple boldly decided yesterday to announce the iPhone at MacWorld. Cisco isn't too happy about the move and has filed a lawsuit against Apple, Inc.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, senior vice president and general counsel for Cisco. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without our permission."

Cisco isn't going down without a fight on this one and it intends to fully protect its line of iPhone products. "Today's iPhone is not tomorrow's iPhone. The potential for convergence of the home phone, cell phone, work phone and PC is limitless, which is why it is so important for us to protect our brand," said Chandler.

Fox news talked about this briefly today. They were essentially laughing at Cisco's case.

yo

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Apple iPhone = iPWNED?

Fox news talked about this briefly today. They were essentially laughing at Cisco's case.
    I think Cisco has a great case.

It doesn't help that Apple actually came to them about the trademark.

Imagine the tables turned. Apple would cry foul if Cisco tried to come out with IP phones using the same name.

I think Apple should fuck off. Cisco had the name first and has a product using it, a phone no doubt. Find another.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Cisco is not to be fooled with & or bullied. I mean jeez. The only other two companies in related fields that are as financially healthy are Microsoft & Google. With Cisco I believe uncontested at #3.

So if Apple wants a fight. They picked a doozie of an opponent.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Cisco is not to be fooled with & or bullied. I mean jeez. The only other two companies in related fields that are as financially healthy are Microsoft & Google. With Cisco I believe uncontested at #3.

So if Apple wants a fight. They picked a doozie of an opponent.
    ....over a name at that.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +1
    isue.... wonderful !!!

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    DuDDee's Avatar Night Crawler
    Apple iPhone = iPWNED?

Cisco has owned the trademark for iPhone since 2000 when it was purchased from Infogear. Infogear originally filed for the trademark in 1996 (well before Apple jumped into the "i" business). Cisco just recently ushered the name into service with a new line of VoIP devices marketed by Cisco's Linksys division.

Having owned the trademark for "iPhone" for six years, don't you think Cisco are just trying to cash in on Apple's success with "i" products? Due to their discussions they knew Apple were about to release their phone, so they rushed one out in order to give their argument some credibility.

Some say Apple rushed theirs out to for similar reasons. Maybe we should all go and buy an iFone from Vodafone

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DuDDee View Post
    Apple iPhone = iPWNED?

Cisco has owned the trademark for iPhone since 2000 when it was purchased from Infogear. Infogear originally filed for the trademark in 1996 (well before Apple jumped into the "i" business). Cisco just recently ushered the name into service with a new line of VoIP devices marketed by Cisco's Linksys division.

Having owned the trademark for "iPhone" for six years, don't you think Cisco are just trying to cash in on Apple's success with "i" products? Due to their discussions they knew Apple were about to release their phone, so they rushed one out in order to give their argument some credibility.

Some say Apple rushed theirs out to for similar reasons. Maybe we should all go and buy an iFone from Vodafone
    "i" anything has been knocked around since the internet debuted.

Apple was not the first to think of it. It's not about that anyway, it's about who trademarked it first.

The way law goes sometimes, however, I wouldn't be surprised if some dumbass judge uses your reason to rule in Apple's favor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast