Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this obscene

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Question
    How long is a pro players life - 10 years?
    if lucky they made enough to chill afterwards
    if not then maybe coaching, sports commentator etc is an option.
    but for all those players that are not on the front pages what are they living off of? Is it enough?
    remember the little people

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    I realise that the turnouts are OK, however I am given to understand that the prices are not that high. This may be pish, it's just something I heard.

From what I heard on t'radio, of the $50,000,000 a year the team will pay around $10,000,000 with the rest coming from endorsements. I suppose these are already in place else it would be pretty pointless to quote the figures.

I realise that this is a business thing and that the team and sponsors expect to make back vastly more than Beckam is making. However, accountancy aside, I still think it's obscene that a man gets paid that amount of money, basically for playing football and getting his phoatie taken. FFS the phoatie part is the more important.

Oh and anyone who says he's shite knows fuck all about the game. He would get a game with most teams in the World. Fact.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    However much he gets it's a pittance compared to the Bill Gates' and Warren Buffets of this world.

Have a look at this, currently moored in Cairns, it belongs to Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, you need more money that Beckham has to own and run one of these!

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Didn't Paul Allen actually buy an NBA franchise at one time as well.

And also a mountain in Aspen.

Again both of these things could be pish.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    Question
    but for all those players that are not on the front pages what are they living off of? Is it enough?
    It's interesting to note that strict salary caps were in place in the MLS up to a few days ago. These were side-stepped in order to make this possible.

Only one player earned more than $1m per year and most of Beckham's team mates will be on around $80,000 per year - that's slightly over half of what Beckham will be getting per day.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    Question
    It's interesting to note that strict salary caps were in place in the MLS up to a few days ago. These were side-stepped in order to make this possible.

Only one player earned more than $1m per year and most of Beckham's team mates will be on around $80,000 per year - that's slightly over half of what Beckham will be getting per day.
    That's obscene.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Monk View Post
    That's obscene.
    Bad choice of word there .. it's business, no-one would offer that money if they weren't sure they would earn even more for themselves.

CEOs who bring companies to the brink of disaster and then pick up millions in compensation when they get the sack is obscene.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Monk View Post
    ... most of Beckham's team mates will be on around $80,000 per year - that's slightly over half of what Beckham will be getting per day.
    That's obscene.
    Well, most of them are merkin footie players

In any case, any notion of obscenity regarding what Beckham will receive for doing stuff pales in comparison with what Sven Goran Eriksson is currently getting from the English FA for doing FA.

Mind, his wages for not managing England anymore have been slashed in hardline measures instigated by Brian Barwick -- instead of receiving £13000, he now only gets £6500 per day.

Now that's obscene.
    Last edited by manker; 01-12-2007 at 02:16 PM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Beckham is worth shit. Even if the LA Galaxy win a championship everytime during his 5-year contract, he isn't worth it.
    You think it's about winning the MLS - I'm quite sure that winning the MLS, altho' kinda desirable, is of little moment to the financiers of this deal.

The thinking behind it is that Beckham, beause of who he is, can have a greater impact on football in America than any single athlete in any sport has before. They want Beckham to kickstart a process which will enable the LA Galaxy to be huge, they want that to make the MLS huge, which in turn will make football in America huge.

This will bring in megabucks from the domestic and worldwide market that will dwarf the 1/4 of a billion paid to Becks. That's the theory, anyway.

Of course, apathy toward football amongst the American people may preside and the financiers may not have factored in the jealousy factor from patriotic dumbfucks who will begrudge Beckham the money purely because he's earning more money from sport in America than any American ever has, or could hope to.

I don't know whether there's anyone like that on this forum.
    Americans don't care if it's foreign player or not. We care if the player is good.

Dirk Nowitzki is a German and many thought he should have won the MVP last year in the NBA.

However, soccer just doesn't get it over here and even with Beckham, it still won't get it. It's not a hope, it's an observation. We barely tuned into the World Cup.

I thought it odd that DC United was trying to build a huge soccer stadium in DC for the same reasons and many thought the same about the new Nationals stadium.

Besides that, if the 250 mil is over 5 years and includes endorsements that doesn't surprise me at all. It would have been surprising if it was all LA Galaxy salary since soccer does shit over here in comparison to other sports.

Regarding your phrase in bold, I totally agree. He can due to soccer being so unpopular. American marketers are probably the most resourceful ever but this will be a tough nut to crack. There will probably commercial after commercial and many news bits to push Beckham and soccer in Americas face.

Ultimately though, cracking basketball and football will prove too hard. Americans view soccer as much too boring in comparison and sitting through an entire match will be like watching snails fuck.

Mmmk, Roderick?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Reproduction
    All land snails are hermaphrodites, producing both spermatozoa and ova. Others, such as Apple Snails, are either male or female. Prolific breeders, snails inseminate each other in pairs to internally fertilize their ova. Each brood may consist of up to 100 eggs.
    Sounds quite interesting

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast