Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Crop Off The Black Letterbox?

Poster
    is the lettbox a watermark ? i dont know what the hell your talking about.. but.. if its a water mark.. just search for a program to remove things from video files.

2. Movies & TV   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by huuramis@20 May 2003 - 09:23
    is the lettbox a watermark ? i dont know what the hell your talking about.. but.. if its a water mark.. just search for a program to remove things from video files.
    eeeerrrr..... no

3. Movies & TV   -   #13
    Poster
    yes.

4. Movies & TV   -   #14
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    No it is not a watermark and you cannot just "remove it." It's what happens when you view a 16:9 picture on a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor or television.

For those of you who don't understand what letterbox means, read this before posting any further comments.

5. Movies & TV   -   #15
    Poster
    Ok, I'm just posting this because most everyone else either doesn't know how to read or doesn't know what they are talking about.

brakak: What you want to do is crop the video. I strongly recommend VirtualDub to do this, as long as the video you want to fix is mpeg 1 or avi. It's a very good avi processing prog and very straightforward and easy to use. All you have to do is set it to crop the vid in video->filters (check here for more info) and set the video bitrate to the original, then save the avi. Aspect ratio is 100% irrelevant.
    Kazaa Corruption Fixer --> Fix any corrupted CD image, archive, or video file you've downloaded with Kazaa.

6. Movies & TV   -   #16
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    I think he meen it like this:

Black Letterbox:

No black letterbox, but the movie is still in widescreen

And now all you guys can guess from which movies I took the screenshots.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

7. Movies & TV   -   #17
    imported_jamesandpie
    Nooooooooooooo idea, its too old for my liking

8. Movies & TV   -   #18
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    It doesn't matter what you do to make the picture fill your monitors' screen, your are in fact changing the aspect ratio. You cannot deny that. Altering the original widescreen version to fit a monitor ruins the film. Why on earth would you want to crop a film? In doing so you take away the director's vision and lessen the film. Any true film buff would prefer the wide screen format.

Benno
    Wha? Your examples makes no sense. That 2nd example is not square(4:3). So what? You got white bars along the top and bottom? Whatever...

share on..

9. Movies & TV   -   #19
    I think he wants to take a non-anamorphic widescreen movie and make it anamorphic. You can remove the black bars without effecting the intended aspect ratio of the director, that's what Beno's example showed. Unfortunately I don't know how to do it myself.

10. Movies & TV   -   #20
    Poster
    The screen is 4:3

The Movie is 16:9

If the movie is the same width as the screen then there is no way that you can change the video to fit the 4:3 without either :

1, Cutting bits from the sides of the video, which means you lose them or

2, Changing the proportions of the video. Which distorts the image.

This has nothing to do with videos, anamorphic, software or any other fancy dan computer technology.

It is basic primary school geometry.

Movies which are converted to television viewing use different techniques to do this. They may use pan and scan, where the 4:3 box is moved about to show as much of the important action as possible. Or they may just cut off the sides. That's why you sometimes see someone talking to a person partially of screen.

The first method is much better but has to be done scene by scene. So takes longer. If you can get software to let you do that then that is your best bet. However you will not see the movie as the director intended it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast