Thread: Problem with torrentbytes

I was able to sign up and browse the site for over an hour, now when I try to sign back in, it will say "Please enable referers in your firewall or browser and try again". Can anybody please tell me why this now appears? Thank you!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Something wrong with your firewall...try to reconfigure it and if you are using a proxy to sign in then don't.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva View Post
    Something wrong with your firewall...try to reconfigure it and if you are using a proxy to sign in then don't.
    thank you for your assistance but I'm not using a proxy and I also turned off my firewall and it still appears

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    That site really sucks and its behavior is sometimes strange. I couldnt get into the site for last 2 weeks. Says my userid or password is incorrect. And there email system is not working so to reset the password.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I had to enable referrers for that site in firefox and I was finally able to logon. Then it told me my password was incorrect as well. Luckily the reset pw email worked for me.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by addy1001
    I was able to sign up and browse the site for over an hour, now when I try to sign back in, it will say "Please enable referers in your firewall or browser and try again".
    what are referers?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by decay View Post
    what are referers?
    do people not know how to use google anymore?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    referer or referrer

The referrer, or HTTP referrer, identifies, from the point of view of a internet webpage or resource, the address of the webpage (commonly the URL, the more generic URI or the i18n updated IRI) of the resource which links to it. By checking the referrer, the new page can see where the request came from. referrer logging is used to allow websites and web servers to identify where people are visiting them from, for promotional or security purposes. Since the referrer can easily be spoofed (faked), however, it is of limited use in this regard except on a casual basis.

If you use Firefox you can block sending referrer information by following these steps:
    Code:
    1. In the address bar of your Firefox browser type: about:config and hit Enter.
      2. In the Filter input field type: network.http.sendreferrerHeader.
      3. Double click on the preference name.
      4. Change the value from 2 to 0 and hit OK.
    In my case, this was already done previously so I changed the value back to 2 and downloaded a Firefox extension called refcontrol what gets sent as the HTTP referer on a per-site basis.

It wasn't until I tried the url in IE that I found out it was Firefox that had the issue and not my firewall.