Thread: Killdisk Problem With Maxtor 60gb

k i formated my 30gb ibm using killdisk and worked fine.

then i tried to format my 60gb maxtor and its no go, it gets some kind of error right @ the
    begining and so i tryed to ignore it and continue with the process it shows it formating, but
    it dosent really format it, is their some kind of protection on the maxtor drives?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Get Powermax. To check your drive.

It's a diskette based utility to perform diagnostic tests on you drive.

Click here for Maxtor Powermax.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    already checked it with that program no errors also used the format tool 2 to do a low level format.
    after it gets few programs on the hard disk it kind of makes rattle noises.

when i check the hard disk @ pc pitstop it says poor performance so i defraged it and when back
    to pc pitstop and it says fine but after a a reboot it goes back to poor peformance
    so i was wanting to killdisk it, to kind of fix it but no succsess, also the hard disk is fairly new, no more than a few months old i got hit by a worm a few weeks ago could this be stoping it from using killdisk.?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    If you run that Powermax and you do the test that says "Factory Recertification" passes then your drive is fine.

You should never do a low level format on a drive that is still under warranty. As soon as you get an error from "Factory Recertication", take note of the error code number and contact Maxtor. That number is used to give you a RMA (Return merchandise Authorization) for replacement.

Edit to add: One last thing... If your drive predates "SMART" be sure that it is disabled in you BIOS.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    i tried every tool in the maxtor software no errors @ all also i havent installed anything on this drive (easy bios) i will try to clear cmos and give it a bash, also is the demo version of killidisk restricted to mabaye a certain size? i dont no why i should clear cmos because i just formated a 30gb ibm with same computer
    and had no problems, their is something defently stopping it from getting wiped or else the maxtor drive is protected IMO.

also the hard drive doesnt run as smooth as when i 1st got it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    also forgot to say, yeh i no the software only does primary master.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    i'll refresh the ?

cmos is always read maxtor, this is the primary drive in which i always use, never had any other harddrive in this comp, this is the drive i tried for the 1st time using killdisk. ( maxtor ) no go

so i had a spare ibm drive i setup the hd as a master just to see if killdisk worked and it did

so i took out the ibm and replaced it back with maxtor hd and still no go.