Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External Harddrive - Where to put it?

mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    ok so i just got an enclosure today off ebay prity good, only thing im kinda pissed off about is putting sata harddrives in, its abit hard to get it to fit in i gotta bend the cable a hell of alot i can even see the bend mark on the cable, but it seemed to run fine when i stuck in the harddrive from my pc (the drive im going to put in is still on order should have it tomorrow )

anyways...

the enclosure doesnt have a fan but after 15min use it didnt seem to get all that hot anyways, im just woundering where the best place is to put the external harddrive?

im thinking of sticking it under my bed or down next to my pc (both places will be sitting on the carpit)
    since theres no fan to collect dust is this a problem with putting it on the carpit?

i had it sitting on my desk but it seemed to vibrate a tad to much and i wouldnt realy be able to sleep with it running 24/7 which is what i plan to have it doing.

im wanting to put it somewhere out the way where i cant hear it at all...

might add some rubber or something under the harddrive so it can sit on that inside the enclosure so i cant hear it as much as well would this help?

heres the enclosure if ur woundering what it looks like (PSU for it behind it sat next to my laptops, kinda hard to see crapy camera phone):

i wanted it in black but they didnt have any in stock so i just went with the silver, looks prity nice to me anyway

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Don't put it directly on carpet. That would act as an insulator and possibly cause it to overheat.

If you must put it down on the carpet then put it on a piece of plywood or some other hard surface.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    ok thanks, will stick it on abit of cardboard or something.

is it ok to have harddrives on there sides or upside down?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    what was the price of that enclosure?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    You can align these cases in any direction you like - the drives don't care these days.

If you intend putting the drive on the floor, make sure you kick it around the room regularly. There's nothing like making sure it can stand up to the rated G forces. Don't even consider getting some velcro patches and sticking it to the top of your computer case.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Aye keep it off the carpet...

Nice enclosure even if I do say so myself, since I got the same one,or at least one of a similar type.

Just like to ask Mikeco, what kinda HardDrive do you have in it? I recently tried a SATA2 drive in it with no joy, can't remember if it was even compatable with SATA2... but just wondering...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post
    Just like to ask Mikeco, what kinda HardDrive do you have in it? I recently tried a SATA2 drive in it with no joy, can't remember if it was even compatable with SATA2... but just wondering...
    Did you remember to throttle the drive back to SATA 1 standards? The drives have a jumper for just that purpose.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    You could shut it off when you're not using it at night. Since it's just an external, there's no need for it to run all the time

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Did you remember to throttle the drive back to SATA 1 standards? The drives have a jumper for just that purpose.
    No, I had no idea that it required jumpers to be used in order to be compatible..I'll have to look into that...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    i havnt yet got the harddrive it was delivered today but no 1 was home so they will try again tomorrow but i think im gunna be out tomorrow as well
    might be picking it up tonight but my mum doesnt realy want to go to the place cos of traffic my arse takes 15-20min to get there.

but i know the harddrive will work, currently already got the same harddrive running in my pc and i tryed that in the enclosure hooked up to my laptop and worked great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast