Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's all this MANutd. and Lille commotion about?

maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    I saw the goal, and it was wrong or giggs to score when lille was setting up their defense. I dont think that goal should've been allowed. So now whats the fuss about? the goal counted and man utd are up 1-0

can someone explain?

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    It can be considered unsporting. Usually a member of the other team would stand right in front of the ball and not let Giggs kick the ball, or the Ref would say wait for my whistle and make sure the wall is 10 yards back, on this occasion neither happened, some refs would have given Giggs a yellow card and ordered him to retake the free kick and some would allow it.

It's a bit like what happened ages ago with Kanu against Sheffield United when he was suppose to kick the ball back to the other team as they had kicked it out so that someone could receive treatment and he ran down the line and assisted a goal, United players protested for 5 minutes or so and finished the game but it was replayed a few weeks later.

Basically it is considered a lot more sporting to have allowed Lille to prepare their wall, but in no way against the rules of the game.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    I see, can someone explain the away goals rule? Bayern lost 3-2, but they were playing in madrid, so does the score balance to 3-3?

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by maebach View Post
    I see, can someone explain the away goals rule? Bayern lost 3-2, but they were playing in madrid, so does the score balance to 3-3?
    No, away goals only come into contention if the scores are level over the two ties. For example if the second leg ends Bayern (Home) 2-1 Madrid (Away) then the score over two legs is 4-4, however Bayern go through as they scored more away goals.

Liverpool won 2-1 away to Barcelona tonight, if Barcelona win away 1-0 then the score over two legs is 2-2 but Liverpool have 2 away goals and Barcelona only 1 away goal, so Liverpool go through. So for Barcelona to go through they need to win 2-0, or 2-1 would take the tie to extra time as the score would be 3-3 with both teams having 2 away goals.

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    word, that means bayern's gotta win to go through
    Last edited by maebach; 02-22-2007 at 02:38 AM.

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    I saw the goal, and it was wrong or giggs to score when lille was setting up their defense. I dont think that goal should've been allowed. So now whats the fuss about? the goal counted and man utd are up 1-0

can someone explain?
    The goal was fine I really don't see the controversy at all - if you know the rules..and the French players should know the rule you don't have to wait for ref's whistle... it's unusual yes for a goal like that to be conceeded, but if my own team let in a goal like that in, I would be more pissed with the defence not being up to speed and caught sleeping.

I think I remember Thierry Henry bagging a similar goal against Wigan this season.

Oh and Lille are gonna get hammered by UEFA for going in a big girlie huff. lol

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    Its a bit unsportsmanlike on man u's part. Its like picking on kids. Im sure if that happened to Man Utd. they'd be crying too.

PS, Im glad Celtic tied AC. Did you guys see that DIVE by Gilardino? OMG that was sooooo funny!
    Last edited by maebach; 02-22-2007 at 03:42 AM.

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Its a bit unsportsmanlike on man u's part. Its like picking on kids. Im sure if that happened to Man Utd. they'd be crying too.
    Err I'm sure they would. However I don't agree with it being unsporstman like Lille got done, by their own slow stupidity, and Man U's quick thinking Giggs capitalised on it. Tough shit cheese eating surrender monkeys, read the rules and sort your fucking defence out. Now diving, feigning injury, and time wasting, that's unsportsman like.

Maybe Lille wont be caught out so quickly when faced with a similar situation.

Oh and top tip to French Polis, when people are nearly being crushed to death, firing tear gas at them will not help the situation..... bawbags.
    Last edited by Colt Seevers; 02-22-2007 at 03:11 AM.

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless

can someone explain?
    There was nothing wrong with the goal. If the wall is back the correct distance, and the attacking team is happy, and the referee is happy, there's no need to wait for the whistle.

On looking at the replays, it seems that even the wall was ready, the only guy who wasn't ready was the goalkeeper!

The behaviour of the Lille coaching staff was deplorable, they definitely tried to get the team to come off. Also, the interview afterwards with the manager was a disgrace. He basically said the referee was biased against them, and that if they'd done that to Man Utd, the goal would not have been allowed. I think that deserves severe punishment in itself.

As for the police, that was ridiculous overreaction to fire tear gas at fans in clear distress. They reckon the tear gas got to Van De Saar, and it affected his vision for the whole game. Crazy!

In fact, France is a disgrace, full stop. Lets just get rid of it.

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Apprently Giggs asked the ref if he could take it quickly. He said "yes" and as soon as he backed away from the ball the free kick is allowed to be taken as it was. Quick thinking rather than cheating if you read the rule book.

That ground looked like a right shit hole why was champions league football being played there in the first place is beyond me. Uefa really should look at who's bright idea it was to let man utd fans with tickets for the home section to walk into the away section causing a dangerous situation.

The police firing tear gas and pepper spray at a section of fans who are already having problems just screams incompetence. who ever decided that should be removed from ever dealing with crowds again.

uefa are talking of making changes to their rules of assesing a ground the day of the match to see if it is suitable for a match like this from the day of the match to 2 weeks prior. lets face it who wants to abandon a match like this especially if thousands of fans have travelled from another country on the day.

oh sir alex was right they tried to intimidate the ref by their so called moment of emotion. they should face a huge fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast