Thread: Anonymous usenet posting?

MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Anyone who can point me in the right direction to post anonymously on usenet. I found some articles describing it with running a local usenet server etc. but that was articles from around 2000 etc. and the programs/servers used is not alive anymore.

I don't care much about the IP address beeing shown but I don't want to post everything on my account @ Giganews. I don't think Giganews gives any info without a court order but still.....

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Every news-server operation in the U.S.A. logs all postings by IP address, and keeps those logs for at least 30 days.

Virtually all do keep such information from their 'outgoing' feed to other servers, so if one posted on GN, then looked at the result from, say, Newshosting, there isn't any info that points at you. BUT. GN has that information....

One can get a posting account on a server that sells 'block' accounts (i.e., 5GB for $5, ect.), and never use that account to d/l, therefore the account will stay 'active' for posting essentially forever. The 'trick' is to pay the lousy $5 in a way that isn't traceable back to you. If you are on a dynamic IP address you can change at will (most consumer DSL and Cable are), that's another 'tool' you can use.

A lot depends on just how jumpy you are; of course, the Cableco's are generally MUCH more attuned to watching their traffic, as upstream traffic bandwidth is at a premium, compared to DSL.

As far as 'court orders', just remember NO company is going to refuse 'suggestions' they turn over any information, these days. I had to tell the FBI to go jump in the lake a couple of times in the 70's, and when they thought they could 'lean' on me, a Federal Judge put a 'nice' statement in their personel folder (i.e., they could forget about that promotion to SAIC they were expecting).

But with all the focus on the Peer systems....

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Thank for the tip on block accounts. I'm going to move soon and will get a better chance to upload stuff @ 10Mbps+ so I want to have some alternatives.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Sorry to bring this topic back, but it seemed to be silly since I'd be asking the same question but expanding on it.

I understand paying for a block account in an untraceable way, nuff' said bout that. (No fraud involved.)

So situation being, usenet providers have the special post IDs and keep logs for so long to prevent abuse to track back to the account that posted and eventually the user.

But if paid for through "untraceable means" you only have to worry about usenet provider contacting ISP to find out what account was using the IP at x/x/x@01:23.

But you can't use some simple proxying or something of the sort because the ISP might notice the file uploaded is *olverine.

So said traffic must be uploaded encrypted, but what really seems to need to be done is eliminate the paper trail.

Simple solution would be going with a usenet provider that doesn't keep logs, but of course, that won't happen considering noone would want a stream from them because every spammer known to man would be up in there.

Anyway, rant rant rant, any ideas?

Was thinking tunneling or VPN, but if there's an easier solution, I'm down with it.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I know a usenet host that allows true anonymous posting, unless it has changed since I last checked but I don't think so. The site is http://download2day.nl

According to their site they do not log anything for uploads, I checked serveral posts from the download2day servers a while back and there were no X-Trace lines or anything. This is good and also bad, more people will be willing to post useful stuff if it is anonymous but there is also alot of spam posted through download2day. SSL available too so you can hide from your ISP.

If I remember correctly they only have one peer, can't remember who it was. So it's probably not very good for high-speed posting (100Mbit+) as it would probably take longer to propogate but for lower speeds it should be fine.
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 09-04-2009 at 12:50 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by UsenetGuy View Post
    I know a usenet host that allows true anonymous posting, unless it has changed since I last checked but I don't think so. The site is http://download2day.nl

According to their site they do not log anything for uploads, I checked serveral posts from the download2day servers a while back and there were no X-Trace lines or anything. This is good and also bad, more people will be willing to post useful stuff if it is anonymous but there is also alot of spam posted through download2day. SSL available too so you can hide from your ISP.

If I remember correctly they only have one peer, can't remember who it was. So it's probably not very good for high-speed posting (100Mbit+) as it would probably take longer to propogate but for lower speeds it should be fine.
    Sounds good to me

http://www.download2day.nl/en/Disclaimer/

6.3 De personal data will be stored in the administration of Download 2 Day. This data will only be used for administrative purposes. Without permission from the subscriber none of these files will be given to any third party.

I can't find any place where they write anything about court order either though

They write that they don't log uploads, and you can sue them for handing over info on you if you didn't agree.
    Last edited by MultiForce; 09-04-2009 at 02:49 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by UsenetGuy View Post
    ...no X-Trace lines or anything...

...they only have one peer..
    A great cause-and-effect example if I may say so myself!

Quote Originally Posted by topicaltapioca View Post
    But you can't use some simple proxying or something of the sort because the ISP might notice the file uploaded is *olverine.
    You have to keep in mind that in the very off chance that an ISP decides to take a look at your uploads, they are in no position to lawfully (at this point in time) do anything about it. Granted, many entertainment groups are in bed with politicians the world over, so who knows where we are headed!
    Last edited by BlockNews; 09-04-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Basically, it's all what I said a long time ago (post above).

There are a handful of places that claim to 'not really log', but like folks have already figured, a news-server operation like that won't have long to 'live', being overwhelmed by spammers.

There are some ways to 'hide' you IP address, including spoofing and using proxies, but most proxy-servers (both pay and free) are very limited as to bandwidth, and the couple that aren't are very expensive for the bits transferred you're talking about, unless it's heavily compressed MP3's (and only a handful of those).

The cheapest way is simply to change your IP address (hopefully you're on a system that's dynamic, and not paying for a 'static' one); how often is up to you. And, get multiple posting accounts, and change your posting routine between them, again randomly.

Actually, most folks simply get tired of doing it, and move on to other pursuits, eventually. I was looking at some of my 'olde tyme' records I kept on an old machine (going back over 10 years). None of them really lasted more than a year or so. They simply got tired, moved, who knows.

But I'd say, simply swapping out your address, and the posting server, every once in a while is good enough.