Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Divx/Avi compatible DVD player suggestions needed

  1. #1

    Unsure

    Hope I chose the correct forum...

    I am looking to buy a DVD player that I can use to play the episodes/movies I download and hoped some people might have some recommendations from personal experiences.
    I am in the UK and have upto about £45 to spend...
    thanks

  2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by timfromspaced View Post
    Hope I chose the correct forum...

    I am looking to buy a DVD player that I can use to play the episodes/movies I download and hoped some people might have some recommendations from personal experiences.
    I am in the UK and have upto about £45 to spend...
    thanks
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/hardw...-player-149192

    The USB came in handy for watching all the BSG Webisodes. They all fit on one USB key and the player will automatically play the files in order.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 01-17-2007 at 03:53 PM.

  3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    it seems a little out of my price range sadly

  4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by timfromspaced View Post
    it seems a little out of my price range sadly
    You said £45. This one is less than that.

    OIC. In dollars, £45 is about $88 which is less than what I paid (and the normal cost) but in the UK I see Amazon sells it for £68. So not only is the conversion higher over in the UK but items are sold for more money in general.

    What a gyp.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 01-17-2007 at 05:05 PM.

  5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    chip19's Avatar a chip off ol' death BT Rep: +4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    sojo
    Posts
    140
    I can testify to the DVP-5960. I haven't tested the USB functionality, but I just throw the odd torrented videos on a DVD+RW... it hasn't failed to play anything yet. It can also play commercial DVDs that look like they were drug on the highway at 75 mph. It may be a couple bucks above your price range, but I think it'll be worth it for you in the end. You truly get what you pay for with DVD players... while a cheap one may work for some files, you know this one will play anything (or at least anything from bittorrent).


  6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timfromspaced View Post
    Hope I chose the correct forum...

    I am looking to buy a DVD player that I can use to play the episodes/movies I download and hoped some people might have some recommendations from personal experiences.
    I am in the UK and have upto about £45 to spend...
    thanks
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/hardw...-player-149192

    The USB came in handy for watching all the BSG Webisodes. They all fit on one USB key and the player will automatically play the files in order.
    Wow... after much thought, I really want to buy the Phillips DVP-5960. I could take all my 700mb movies, put them on my 1gb flash drive, and watch them right? Also, I know it plays Divx movies, but what about Xvid movies? I think Divx and Xvid are really similar, but just to be sure, will it play Xvid's off my thumb drive?



    EDIT: Nooooo! After more research, I've learned it's a USB 1.1 port, and it won't recognize USB 2.0 devices. Like 4 or 5 people mentioned it being USB 1.1 only. Damn it seems the USB is half-assed right now.
    Last edited by Rip The Jacker; 01-18-2007 at 10:17 AM.

  7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/hardw...-player-149192

    The USB came in handy for watching all the BSG Webisodes. They all fit on one USB key and the player will automatically play the files in order.
    Wow... after much thought, I really want to buy the Phillips DVP-5960. I could take all my 700mb movies, put them on my 1gb flash drive, and watch them right? Also, I know it plays Divx movies, but what about Xvid movies? I think Divx and Xvid are really similar, but just to be sure, will it play Xvid's off my thumb drive?



    EDIT: Nooooo! After more research, I've learned it's a USB 1.1 port, and it won't recognize USB 2.0 devices. Like 4 or 5 people mentioned it being USB 1.1 only. Damn it seems the USB is half-assed right now.
    Well I must have all USB 1.1 thumbdrives then (recently bought too).

    I haven't had a problem yet and I've 3 different drives.

    And yes it had played all the Divx and Xvid files I've thrown at it and this is from a thumbdrive.

    Drives have to be formatted in FAT32. You probably could use a card reader with it as long as it had a USB port.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 01-22-2007 at 04:31 AM.

  8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    I use SMS MediaPlayer a memory card exploit for playstation 2, along with a harddrive strapped in it. If you want I can exploit a memory card, format a harddrive and teach you how to load movies on it for $150.00. It plays Divx,xvid, and regular avi's.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •