Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are newsgroups safer?

ExtraSharp's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Can someone exapain to me why newgroups protect users (from copyright lawsuits) better than alternative P2P methods? I understand that they encourage downloading without the need to upload, which in itself is safer. But do they keep user's uploads/download more anonymous? If so, how?

Also, I am currently a Oink user, and im mainly interested in music. I especially like that Oink always has the newest releases, especially by lesser known bands. In this respect, would newgroups be a good option for me?

Thanks.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    DISABLED PRIVS
    Nobody can see your IP adress when you're downloading or even uploading and nobody logs anything, so basically its impossible to get caught

http://www.alt-bin.com/index.php?pg=...p3.complete_cd
    those are most of the albums that have been uploaded in the last 30 days but there is a lot more than only alt-bin.com on usenet

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude0 View Post
    Nobody can see your IP adress when you're downloading or even uploading and nobody logs anything, so basically its impossible to get caught
    Some newshosters also offer SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption as an added security option, for even more privacy. Never had or felt the need to use it though.

I'm still using Oink for my albums as well, just I find it easier to find what I'm looking for there.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    While usenet is wonderful for movies, games, and apps it is still sort of lacking in the Music side. If you listen to anything remotely obscure, chances are you won't have very much luck finding it on newsgroups.

However if you listen to the most popular, and mainstream of music, then you will have no troubles at all.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    ExtraSharp's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Thats guys! I appreaciate your input. This is a great forum you have here.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory View Post
    While usenet is wonderful for movies, games, and apps it is still sort of lacking in the Music side. If you listen to anything remotely obscure, chances are you won't have very much luck finding it on newsgroups.

However if you listen to the most popular, and mainstream of music, then you will have no troubles at all.
    I don't know WHAT your definition of "obscure music" is, but newsgroups offer things from the 60s and 70s (even earlier) I cannot find anywhere else. They also offer certian types of music such as clasical, folk, etc.

Again, I don't know what your defintion is of obscure music, but I have been able to find whatever music I want at blazing speeds on usenet.
    Last edited by webe123; 01-19-2007 at 12:08 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    DISABLED PRIVS
    If you can't find something, request it at one of the irc communities. chances are high your reqs will be filled

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Nardz's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by webe123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory View Post

I don't know WHAT your definition of "obscure music" is, but newsgroups offer things from the 60s and 70s (even earlier) I cannot find anywhere else. They also offer certian types of music such as clasical, folk, etc.

Again, I don't know what your defintion is of obscure music, but I have been able to find whatever music I want at blazing speeds on usenet.
    You obviously don’t use oink if you think that Usenet is better for finding obscure music. Enough said.

The problems I have with Usenet and music are that it’s a much more complicated process when trying to find the music and that it can’t separate the albums into individual folders containing the albums name. It very annoying to have to go back and sort all the mp3 files when they are finished, also the files are only on Usenet for a month and then there gone. There are some albums that have been on oink for over a year. Don’t get me wrong I love Usenet for everything except music.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    grrrrrrrr.... BT Rep: +2
    also... you are pretty much downloading text messages...

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Nardz's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by kabloomz View Post
    also... you are pretty much downloading text messages...
    more like emails with attachments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast