Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: After building a PC how to tidy up cables

Hi Guys

I have just finished building a new PC, (the second time I have done it)

It works, but it is a bit of mess inside.

I was wondering if you had any general ideas on how to tidy it up so it looks professional and I suppose also making for a clear air flow.

I suppose cable ties will help ?

If you use cable ties do you tie some cables to parts of the case ?

Is it a good idea to fold a long cable into a loop so it is not so long ?

Any other ideas or concepts woudl be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Digby
    NZ

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Mindfukced's Avatar Poster
    hi,

Firstly, well done on making the PC. There is nothing more rewarding than making your own PC.

yeah, you could use zip ties. I used to use them, I also used to zip tie them to the case.I now mostly just use rounded ide cables, so there isnt that much blocking airflow. Best thing I found for airlfow was rounded cables, and also correct positioning of fans. I used to love the overclocking stuff a few years ago, I remember I used take the fan off the heatsink, with a duct to a 120mm fan. Man, those were some noisy days...lol

A fan low down for intake, and one high up for extraction usually does help. Hot air rises, so the higher the outtake fan, the better the cooling.
    Also, rather than using the normal thermal pad or paste on the CPU, I tended to use artic silver paste. This alone dropped quite a few degrees.

Zip ties work nice, rounded cables are good aswell. If your having cooling problems, I would consider the above, and also some proper thermal paste.

Peace,

Mindfukced

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Cabling a new PC is an artform.
    Look here to get ideas.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3

Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Look here to get ideas.

Some nice pics there.

We should do a show and tell thread... Often wondered what the innards of certain users PCs looked like...

*looks for digi cam*

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Look here to get ideas.
    Most of the pics there don't even work.

edit:: nvm didn't realize the thread goes all the way to 2007.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Where possible, I like to run the power cables down the outside of the inner cage (down the RHS when looking from the front), then have them come back into the cage as near as possible to their destination.

I use some self adhesive velcro pads and velcro cable ties to keep them in place, and once the outer cover is on that side they are invisible. Any unused cables are also hidden away but are readily available if I add another component.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    chip19's Avatar a chip off ol' death BT Rep: +4
    I kind of gave up on the whole cable management thing when I got a new case without a window. It doesn't bother me that they are messy as hell since I don't see them (and airflow is not an issue since I use water cooling). I think organizing my cables would give even the pros trouble, since some of my components (specifically the case-door-mounted reservoir) require the power cable to go straight from the PSU to the component or else it won't reach it when the door is fully open.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Look here to get ideas.
    After looking through that thread, I wonder how it feels how have a nice sized case with room to work. I kinda feel like actually taking this whole comp apart and just running it without a case on a table or something lol

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    I wonder how it feels how have a nice sized case with room to work.
    Quite pleasant actually.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    Look here to get ideas.
    After looking through that thread, I wonder how it feels how have a nice sized case with room to work. I kinda feel like actually taking this whole comp apart and just running it without a case on a table or something lol
    This post should be in the Humour section of this forum. Linkin Park I have not laughed so much for quite a while. Your comment just cracks me up, but its so true.

Some of those pc's are so empty of cabling that you would think the components were not even connected. One guy even makes his own cables to the correct length !

And Lynx, those were just the sort of tips I was looking for !

Regards

Digby
    Last edited by digmen1; 01-22-2007 at 01:28 AM. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast