Thread: radeon x1300 card with 149 psu

popwar's Avatar Popwar
    i just bought a radeon x1300 pci video card. on the box it says a 300w power supply or greater is recommened. so i bought a generic 300w storebrand but its too big and i cant wait to try my new card but im not sure if running it on my 149w power supply will like shut the computer down or not or w/e. the card i have now recommends 250w and my computer runs it fine without any problems. maybe it says 300w expecting that your going to use all the outputs at the same time?? idk

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    What's your current system that only has a 149w PSU?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    Hp Vectra XE310 S2
    Intel Celeron 1.1ghz
    512MB RAM
    radeon 9250 graphics card (currently, new one is still in box havent opened it yet.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by popwar View Post
    Hp Vectra XE310 S2
    Intel Celeron 1.1ghz
    512MB RAM
    radeon 9250 graphics card (currently, new one is still in box havent opened it yet.
    Somehow, I could have almost predicted that.
    HP have a strange way of designating the power output, presumably so that people will go back to HP for a "compatible" upgrade card.

Considering that the card takes all its power through the pci slot then I wouldn't be surprised if it works.

Before you open the box, just check that you've got a pci card, not a pci express card. As far as I can tell, only VisionTek make a pci version of that card, and compared to the pci-e and agp versions it is very expensive.

One other word of warning, you probably won't get the performance increase you are hoping for, for the simple reason that the card will be crippled by the comparatively low speed of the pci bus.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    its pci. but when i upgraded my card for the first time i could tell a 100% increase in my gameplay. its a 256mb ddr pci x1300 is what i bought. as long as my new one is faster than my old one i'll be satisfied. im not looking to run all my games on high or on hd res. my monitor is only 15" so can only go up to 1024X768 anyways.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Fair enough. As long as you are happy with the result that's all that matters.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    k.it works fine. only thing that puzzles me is why cod2 runs like complete shit now and before it ran close to perfect with settings on high on the 9250