Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Got A Call From My Isp Today, About Piracy...

Almost all types of trackage of users is permitted ,however your ISP is
    bound by law to protect private information of users ,which differ from state to state
    and country to country.
    What those 'anti-piracy'-organizations are after are of course the traffic-logs of the ISP.
    I think it doesn't matter if you are behind a router because the physical address is logged too
    with a time-stamp.
    The general picture right now shows that R!AA & co are trying to create precedents
    which in future they want to follow up by class-action suits. B)

It's an interresting ongoing battle on an international scale, :pirate: and I wish you
    Americans good luck (and good congressman)

2. File Sharing   -   #52
    Jumping ips yourself does little good if an exact date/time/ip/copyright violation is sent to your ISP. You'd have to jump ips every time you get hit by one of their searches to foil their search method -- but by then it might be too late, and even if it worked it would kick you off Kazaa.
    If I see numerous blocks on PG, then I jump IP's. Yes, I get kicked off any internet activity since I have to release my IP and then request a new one via changing the MAC in my router, though I am back online and KL continues on. If they are extarcting IP's and then attemting to get futher information from there, I'm gone. Just one more safety, why not.

3. File Sharing   -   #53
    Poster
    Originally posted by REALITY@25 May 2003 - 04:08
    If I see numerous blocks on PG, then I jump IP's. Yes, I get kicked off any internet activity since I have to release my IP and then request a new one via changing the MAC in my router, though I am back online and KL continues on. If they are extarcting IP's and then attemting to get futher information from there, I'm gone. Just one more safety, why not.
    Because the WHOLE thing that triggered Peer Guardian's warnings might be because you have a download which contains a blocked ip as one of its sources.

You might be literally jumping at shadows... those ips weren't trying to connect with you, you were trying to connect with them.

And they MAY not even be real hostiles due to over-broad block ranges of Peer Guardian.
    If I get MANY blocks from a single ip or ip range, I've done a little whois/reverse DNS lookups to determine if they're really hostile or not.
    I've already turned up 1 university that was supposedly a hostile p2p monitor.

I'm trying to whittle my list down, but instead it keeps getting longer -- it's up to 244.5 million blocked ips in about 180 ranges.

4. File Sharing   -   #54
    Originally posted by Switeck+25 May 2003 - 15:46--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 25 May 2003 - 15:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--REALITY@25 May 2003 - 04:08
    If I see numerous blocks on PG, then I jump IP&#39;s. Yes, I get kicked off any internet activity since I have to release my IP and then request a new one via changing the MAC in my router, though I am back online and KL continues on. If they are extarcting IP&#39;s and then attemting to get futher information from there, I&#39;m gone. Just one more safety, why not.
    Because the WHOLE thing that triggered Peer Guardian&#39;s warnings might be because you have a download which contains a blocked ip as one of its sources. [/b][/quote]
    I know, but like I said why not, besides most of my hostiles are very clear as to who they are. I currently have 210 profiles in mine, but usually it;s the same ones that show up.

5. File Sharing   -   #55

6. File Sharing   -   #56
    I always thought that Kazaa would go the same way as napster.......surely the best way to stop us doing what were doing is to take out the suppliers.......and not the small fish like ourselves.

NTL who are my supplier recently supposedly put a cap on daily downloads thinking this would stop potential culprits and also beacsue they were getting complaints about the servers bandwidth running slow across the network.

I&#39;m sorry to hear that people are getting phone calls, emails. Myabe the isp&#39;s have to show legally that they are doing their part. BUt as some of you state they won&#39;t survive without us. "catch 22"

7. File Sharing   -   #57
    Double Agent
    dudes, filesharing must go on, it is a new revolution against those greedy companies and their futile attempts to take away our freedom to share the good stuff. artists and musicians and software companies are already making nuff money to get themselves high for the rest of their fucking lives. IT IS OUR RIGHT TO SHARE, fuck COPY RIGHT IT IS BULLSHIT. KEEP SHARING PPL. if my isp threatens to disconnect me, i am taking their routers down with me LOLOLOL. FREE FILE SHARING RULEZ

8. File Sharing   -   #58
    Ok hey call me a noob but I was just wondering about the peer guardian. specificly where can i get it and what does it do.

9. File Sharing   -   #59
    Follow the links...

Peer Gaurdian
    Updates 1
    Updates 2

It blocks unwanted snoops.

10. File Sharing   -   #60
    Would not the best method be to use an other router like IRC or FTP (Sorry have not used either yet and don&#39;t know) And just rename your files before you transfer them? Then if the ISPs send you a letter saying "blankety blank" you can just say you transfer a lot of home movies to your friends?

Or would they actually be able to capture your "junk"?

Even at thirty and being around Pcs for 25 years I am sooooooooo dumb.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast