Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got A Call From My Isp Today, About Piracy...

1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    So today, im chilling, just playing some counter strike, when I get a call from ISP, charter communications. I was like, hmmm, what would they want.

So they guy is like, well we got a report from MediaForce, on such and such a date, that you, or someone behind your ip, was sharing a man apart tmd.avi on the kazaa p2p applications.

I was like, oh shit...

Hes like, we arent disconnecting you, nor will we over this, just know that sharing copyrighted materials is illegal, and we can be forced to disconnect you for it.

I said to him,
    1. Those files arent on my computer (cuz they arent, i deleted them weeks ago),
    2. I have no clue who was sharing them, as I wasnt, (bs, but hey, i had to make a case, lol)

He replied by saying, not to worry about it, but just remember the sharing of that stuff is illegal, and that i shouldnt be doing it... hes going to send me some email, stating the same, etc.

This isnt ment to scare anyone, so dont assume im trying to do that... I have commented recently, how I have been doing this for years, which i have, and never heard anything from any one. Funny how a week after making that comment, i hear something, what luck.

Well now I have, and I just thought I would inform you all. Ya know, at least they coulda bitched about a decent movie, or even a avi/mpg that was decent quality, lol... that movie was a pos.... hahahaha...

Im thinking that was before I was running peer guardian... but i dunno, ill figure it out when i get the email. Ill post a SS of it when i get it too...

*btw... dont think this will hinder my bringing the latest goods from the net to the kazaa network... it wont... :beerchug: cheers!*

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Well, I think you're the first member over newbie status to get one of those. I'm not sure whether congratulations or consolement is in order.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    At least the guy you talked to was kinda sincere (by what
    i read) and didnt directly accuse you.

After all, ISPs like money. And that's what you give them
    as long as you are connected with them

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@21 May 2003 - 01:37
    Well, I think you're the first member over newbie status to get one of those. I'm not sure whether congratulations or consolement is in order.

Does that mean you wouldn't even feel some sympathy if a nOOb got busted?
    I'm really, really disappointed :'(

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    ya, thats another reason i figured I would let everyone know.

we have been pretty hard on the guests, and noobs who have commented on such things, so i figured, this would show, it is happening, etc... and just to let u know cats know, that its not impossible.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Exactly. Recently we've been getting a lot of people with 1-30 posts (most often 1-3) saying, "Look what I got!"

Since it was, in most cases, their only post, they lack some credibility.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Schmiggy_JK23 your the first person i actuall believe 100%.

with all the other being noobs you are always thinking is this one of the riaa scare tactics.

that is why we were always being hard on them.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Schmiggy my friend, this is interesting news. Media Force? Are they related to the Fantastic Four? But seriously, I'm very interested in this company, and how they obtain their information. I would love to know the specific methods that they use to determine if someone is sharing a given file, and how this company is being financed. I called their (212) number once before, they are out of Manhattan (that's New York City). All I got was a voicemail. I wonder if they would like us investigating their methods of doing business.
    Proud member of MDS

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    well, I presume say The company that put a man apart is pissed about the grosses, of what was a shitty film.

So they hire media force, and say, hey, find who out there is sharing this film, and warn/prosecute them, etc.

Media force hops on kazaa... types in the name of the movie, pulls it up, sees say, 60 peeps sharing it... the start the download, tracking the ips via netstat, or some other complex program, which shows incomming transfers, with ips... they track the ips to their correct isp, as there are records of all ips, at all times, as its required for the isps to keep these... they send the letter to those isp's, and bang, the isp contacts me.

The specific means of tracking should come under question, i dont see that its illegal however, guess i start using more ranges with peer guardian, and try to be a little more cautious, etc... better to block a few innocent ips, then let a few non innocent ones in...

just really irks me, why couldnt it have xmen2, or two towers, irks me that such a shitty movie, got me my first warning, lol!

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    I read in an article the giant film companies usually pay people like media firms to sic bots on p2p networks that search for files and log ip's of those who show up in the search and take screenshots of there shared folder. Media force has been disconnected p;lenty of times from my comp by peer gurdian. Baytsp broke down their methods. They probably all use the same methods.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast