Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The first black Super Bowl coach

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I really think the media are having trouble framing this properly.

They trip all over themselves hyping the fact; I actually heard a commentator say this morning that the honor goes to Lovie Smith over Tony Dungy because the Bears won "first".

Dumb, really dumb.

They both merit acclaim, but where does it end?

In two weeks time, we will have the first black coach to win a Super Bowl.

Conversely, we will also have the first black coach to lose a Super Bowl, and though I'd think the fact should be of little note, I'm sure some putz will mention it.

I've always thought it a shame that anyone would think a black coach couldn't win a Super Bowl because of his skin color; ironic, now, that the media can't manage to account for the achievements of these two men more gracefully than they have...

Bears win, BTW; I still can't stand the Colts because of that prick Irsay.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    Poster
    granted yes one will be the first black coach to win the superbowl, but i don't think it was necessary to make such a big deal about it. in the end black or white, they are just football coaches.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

They trip all over themselves hyping the fact; I actually heard a commentator say this morning that the honor goes to Lovie Smith over Tony Dungy because the Bears won "first".

Dumb, really dumb.

I don't think it merits a damn thing.

The only people keeping this discussion going is the media. The real world could care less I think.

yo

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Dumb, really dumb.

The only people keeping this discussion going is the media. The real world could care less I think.

You are clueless then.

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    I dont understand why its so big. sure, maybe for the african-americans, who can now tell their kids that they can do anything when they grow-up. a coach is a coach.

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by maebach View Post
    I dont understand why its so big. sure, maybe for the african-americans, who can now tell their kids that they can do anything when they grow-up. a coach is a coach.
    You, sir, are not clueless. Some people only know their world....which is cool to an extent but it makes them clueless. The ability to change perspectives is alien to them.

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

You are clueless then.
    How so?

My friends haven't said a word about it.
    My family hasn't either.
    No mention of it at work amongst co-workers, though plenty of SB talk.
    Not much on the internet except on ESPN.com, etc. (again, media)

yo

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    You are clueless then.
    How so?

My friends haven't said a word about it.
    My family hasn't either.
    No mention of it at work amongst co-workers, though plenty of SB talk.
    Not much on the internet except on ESPN.com, etc. (again, media)

Right on cue. See the post above yours.

The fact that you couldn't fathom it being a big deal to black folk makes you clueless....not necessarily black folk that you know but black folk.

Do you think the media dreamt this stuff up?

At the same time, I applaud Tony Dungy when asked about it at the trophy ceremony basically deflecting it and saying that this was a day for the Indianapolis Colts.

I remember when people talked about the paucity, fuck scratch that, the nonexistence of black coaches in the league. Now no one talks about it.
    The same went for black QBs and a black QB winning the Superbowl.

On all of those, no one talks about it anymore besides the fact of remembering it.

After this SB, it will be remembered but not really talked about 2 years down the road. Well maybe the fact that 2 made it at the same time (fuck that Lovie made it first stuff).

This same talk happened in the boxing world long ago.

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

The fact that you couldn't fathom it being a big deal to black folk makes you clueless....not necessarily black folk that you know but black folk.
    Where did I say, "I couldn't fathom it"? I said it doesn't merit "acclaim".

Are you going to sleep better after the SB knowing a black coach, coached the winning team? That's not an achievement, it's a matter of time. I don't even think it worthy of discussion tbh.

Oh well, one less thing for you to worry about I guess. Better step up and start asking why we don't have any oriental coaches......... fucking racist NFL.

yo

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Conversely, we will also have the first black coach to lose a Super Bowl, and though I'd think the fact should be of little note, I'm sure some putz will mention it.
    That's a little self-harsh. I don't think of you as a putz, merely a little clumsy with wordular context at times

===

I think this is a big deal for black folk in America. It is the same here in soccer because the proportional dearth of black managers in the top tier (indeed any tier) of professional football does rather stick out. If a black manager coached his team to the Premier League title, it would mean a great deal to current black football players who aspire to be a manager when they hang up their boots. Not so much youngsters because what teenager aspires to be a manager rather than a player.

Some outspoken black managers (like Paul Ince at Macclesfield) blame institutional racism but I can't attribute it to that. It was only 20-25 years ago that the England team had its first black player and now (proportionately, given the populace of England) there are more black players in the squad than white.

I think now a precident has been set, the floodgates will open and you'll see a lot more black coaches taking teams to the Superbowl. The mental barrier will be gone.

So, it is a big deal and the media are right to treat it as such.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast