Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filesharing News

Hi all, Let me first say I hope I am not breaking any board rules by posting this, but thought the file sharing family needs to know. I found this while browsing a news site.:
    Fizzer worm widespread
    Staff writers
    May 13, 2003

A NEW worm known as "Fizzer" has spread rapidly around the world using email and the KaZaa peer-to-peer file swapping program to propagate itself.

Fizzer, (also known as W32.HLLW.Fizzer@mm or WORM_FIZZER.A), installs an application that logs keystrokes, as well as a Trojan Horse that could allow a hacker to take control of a user's PC. The worm also attempts to block the operation of any anti-virus software that may be present on the PC.

Fizzer sends itself to all entries in the Windows Address Book, Outlook Address Book and any addresses found on the local system via email. It can also distribute itself to randomly generated addresses.

Message subject lines include "The peace" and "Re: how are you?". Subject lines and worm file names are variable.

To distribute itself via KaZaa, Fizzer duplicates itself in the application's file sharing folder under random file names so that it can be uploaded to other machines.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    there are some worms going around. its disturbing yes.

btw, this should probably be in filesharing

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Keep the Norton running, and go on with your life. If you aren't protected by now, you deserve what you get.
    Proud member of MDS

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Thanks kab, thats what I needed to know, jibbler, hope you are a better filesharer than your responses reflect on the board, You shouldnt kick someone trying to help keep the p2p community safe! Peace B)

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    This should be here.

Nice post though.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    jetje's Avatar former star
    As usual.... FC is right, topic moved...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Peaceplaya@13 May 2003 - 04:39
    Hi all, Let me first say I hope I am not breaking any board rules by posting this, but thought the file sharing family needs to know. I found this while browsing a news site.:
    Fizzer worm widespread
    Staff writers
    May 13, 2003

A NEW worm known as "Fizzer" has spread rapidly around the world using email and the KaZaa peer-to-peer file swapping program to propagate itself.

Fizzer, (also known as W32.HLLW.Fizzer@mm or WORM_FIZZER.A), installs an application that logs keystrokes, as well as a Trojan Horse that could allow a hacker to take control of a user's PC. The worm also attempts to block the operation of any anti-virus software that may be present on the PC.

Fizzer sends itself to all entries in the Windows Address Book, Outlook Address Book and any addresses found on the local system via email. It can also distribute itself to randomly generated addresses.

Message subject lines include "The peace" and "Re: how are you?". Subject lines and worm file names are variable.

To distribute itself via KaZaa, Fizzer duplicates itself in the application's file sharing folder under random file names so that it can be uploaded to other machines.
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

No real need though as 100's of new worms and trojans released everyday.Just make sure your anti virus definitions are always kept upto date

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    and allso w32.kw bot.worm is out there two it got me today but my horton got it befor it could do anything. thank God to horton

you need to check your shair files to just to be safe

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    geothermal78's Avatar Poster
    I've gotten two versions of W32.HLLW.Fizzer so far from p2p sharing, but AVG deleted both of them. AVG is free by the way.

Jon

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Originally posted by Peaceplaya@13 May 2003 - 06:34
    Thanks kab, thats what I needed to know, jibbler, hope you are a better filesharer than your responses reflect on the board, You shouldnt kick someone trying to help keep the p2p community safe! Peace B)
    He wasnt kicking you, he was being blunt, and in all truth, hes dead on...

If you get a worm like thats, its your own damn fault. Keep your Norton updated daily, or every two days, make it continually scan, and 99.99% of the time, you will be fine. I have been online for 7 years, one virus, the whole time, and that was when i didnt keep my definitions up to date, my first year, cuz i didnt know better...

theres no excuse anymore... if you run an exe file, u download from a 3rd party, w/o it having been scanned by norton, or mcafee, or something, then u deserve it, its common sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast