Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help from a macromedia dreamweaver expert!

S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    I'm creating a website for my uncles business but am having some trouble with getting things where I want them to be. In this picture below i want to move the test into the red circled part but can't get it there. I need to do the same for the other pages I've created.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Create a 2 column 1 row table. Put the left-hand content in the left-hand cell, and the text in the right-hand cell. Adjust the widths accordingly.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Create a 2 column 1 row table. Put the left-hand content in the left-hand cell, and the text in the right-hand cell. Adjust the widths accordingly.
    K that worked, is there any way to get rid of that table I had to create?

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Yes, you make all the borders zero width, so it won't appear in the finished page. Most website alignment and positioning is done using tables.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    ah shit this is pissin me off, I can't move anything where I want it go, what the fuck is up with this program.....

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    You'll need to be more specific...

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    You'll need to be more specific...
    If that table thing is the only way I can get the text to be where I want it then im gonna have a serious problem here. By doing that my navigation menu is all out of alignment throughout the four pages of the site. I want them to be in the same place on all the pages. Is there any other webpage making software that causes less problems?

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    It's not the software that's the problem, it's the nature of HTML.

What you need to do is have the same page structure on all of your pages. What I would do in your situation is have a table encompassing the whole thing, with the top row holding the header image, and then a second row with a thin left-hand cell holding the navigation menu, leaving the rest of the space (large) for the content of that particular page.

Set the width of the whole table to 100%, but set a fixed width of the left-hand cell on the second row (navigation cell), and don't allow resizing.

Alternatively, you could use frames, but they're somewhat frowned upon these days.

Also, the only other tip I can give you is don't assume everyone has their browsers set up the same. Something could look great in your browser, but shit for everyone else. You need to rigidly control sizes and alignments as much as you can, if you want it to look OK in any circumstances.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    It's not the software that's the problem, it's the nature of HTML.

What you need to do is have the same page structure on all of your pages. What I would do in your situation is have a table encompassing the whole thing, with the top row holding the header image, and then a second row with a thin left-hand cell holding the navigation menu, leaving the rest of the space (large) for the content of that particular page.

Set the width of the whole table to 100%, but set a fixed width of the left-hand cell on the second row (navigation cell), and don't allow resizing.

Alternatively, you could use frames, but they're somewhat frowned upon these days.

Also, the only other tip I can give you is don't assume everyone has their browsers set up the same. Something could look great in your browser, but shit for everyone else. You need to rigidly control sizes and alignments as much as you can, if you want it to look OK in any circumstances.
    Do you have msn? Perhaps you could give me a hand doing this if you're not busy assuming you aren't since you're on here. I've been working on this all day im getting very frustrated.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Actually I'm at work.

Best I can do is a html file layout of what I think you should be doing.

Find attached, a basic page-layout. Use this as the basis for all your pages. The table cell that contains the navigation menu, will not move, even if you resize your window, etc.

Good luck!

P.S. You may want to rethink your background colour, it makes the links hard to see, unless you want to change them using css styles, but let's not run before we can walk
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast