Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Bit torrent, Hello Newsgroups!

Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3

Surprised/Amazed

Hey, I've been converted to Newsgroups!!!

I've finally decided to make some effort and go back and give Newsgroups a fair crack!

Initially I've been put off using Newsgroups, as they were the first thing I tried even before my K-Lite days... The experience, much like IRC wasn't good and kinda put me off.

But after doing some reading, using some of the guides posted here, and generally being annoyed with the whole Bit torrent scene, the reasons are many and I wont waffle on too much.. But anyway I was getting a bit miffed with how the Bit torrent P2P world seems to be going:

• I really don't have the upload bandwidth anymore to keep a good ratio.
    • Most (but not all) BT sites appear to be taking the format of "pay to leech". (Which is basically extortion with some of the rules certain sites have; practically make it impossible to keep a good ratio, thus making sure if you are a heavy user you will almost certainly have to "donate".
    • Speed varies greatly depending on how many seeders there are and how much bandwidth those seeders are giving out. In general speeds are usually good, but not always.
    • Most stuff appears on Newsgroups before or shortly after the torrent sites get it, mostly.. ofcourse there are always exceptions...
    • I'm getting sick to death of leaving my PC on 24/7 in order to keep some kind of good ratio.. I would like to occasionaly turn the thing off every now and then!
    • Due to my low upload speed it means I have to keep stuff on my hard drive for longer, taking up valuable space.
    • Generally begging for invites or having to provide proof of a good ratio just gets on my tits. Some of the crap that goes on with the invites, (although I haven't personally been scammed), is just becoming tiresome. Even the "<insert name here> is a scammer" threads that turn into quite an entertaining flame battle are just getting a bit weak tbh.

The straw that broke the camels back was when I got a dedicated Linux box, and decided to start using that for my BT downloads, which is good for your ratio, but pretty bad for your wallet.. I suddenly had the brainwave of saying wait a sec all this money could be getting used for more important things, ie beer! I could pay 1/10th of the amount im currently paying for a dedi box and use that for Newsgroup account....that was enough for me, server contract: cancelled.

I'm sure there are other reasons why I'm ditching BT, but these are the main ones. lol and I did say I wasn't going to waffle on?

Well I got Newsleecher+50 gigs worth on Usenet, and I have to say I'm impressed downloads are constantly maxed out and doubt very much I will be using BT at all, maybe to grab the occasional album from Oink, but apart from that I doubt vey much I will be going back.

I've just re-read this brain-fart of a thread and I would like to apologise for telling you guys stuff you have been banging on to us for ages about, but hey it just takes a while for the info to sink into my thick skull..

Newsgroups FTW!

Oh aye, and I forgot that the point of this thread was I actually had a question: if during my Newsleecher searches say I find something that hasn't been posted here and I start to download it, am I right in thinking that I can then take the NZB that I downloaded and post it up here to share? I don't have to complete downloading the file? I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I would like to make sure before I post anything.

I feel better now thats all out...

Cheers!
    Last edited by Colt Seevers; 01-11-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: typo

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Got no clue on the NZB question as I always use the search engines etc. to generate that file, but I just want so say welcome to a better world hehe.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    movbuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post
    Oh aye, and I forgot that the point of this thread was I actually had a question: if during my Newsleecher searches say I find something that hasn't been posted here and I start to download it, am I right in thinking that I can then take the NZB that I downloaded and post it up here to share? I don't have to complete downloading the file? I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I would like to make sure before I post anything.
    Yes as I can't think why not. Enjoy your new find.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    thanks guys!!

Now lets all get naked and have a group hug!!

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post
    thanks guys!!

Now lets all get naked and have a group hug!!
    Naaa don't think that would be a pleasant site for any of us.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I can only agree, I've been using usenet for a long time now, but my ISP has recently blocked off several binary groups(the best ones ), including any movies and tv episodes so I'm currently stuck with bittorrent again. Looking to subscribe to a usenet service. (the search for which actually brought me here)

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Hanz™'s Avatar making the world go BT Rep: +3
    It's totally true.
    It's so nice being able to download a 10GB hd file and not having to worry about the bad shit it is doing to my ratio.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers
    [*] I'm getting sick to death of leaving my PC on 24/7 in order to keep some kind of good ratio.. I would like to occasionaly turn the thing off every now and then!
    I like to turn off my PC too, but often I'll grab a few NZB's during the day, and load them just before I go to bed. Then everything's done by morning, and I'm not downloading anything during the day which is nice.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I got tired of every torrent site I ever used going under.
    Phoenix, Loki, Torrentit, especially when I would spend months building a double or even triple digit ratio surplus.

Tired of begging for invites. Tired of worry about who I was sharing with. Tired putting up with "holier-than-thou" site staff. Tired of ratios.

You've made a good move.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    n00b BT Rep: +2
    --
    Last edited by fred861; 11-26-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast