Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your PC pics

S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Guys, I need some suggestions for what I could do about my hard drive because it still seems to be making a lot of "seeking noise". As you can see from the pics I've posted the HD is sitting on those blue rubber grommets but the vibration is still coming through the case because the screw heads are making contact with the metal of the case. I was thinking of getting felt pads (ones like you'd put on the bottom of chair legs) and putting those between the screws and the case, or perhaps some rubber washers if I can find some at the hardware store. Any ideas or suggestions?

Edit: Being that the mount holes on the bottom of the case are small as is I cant put the grommets though like supposed to be, I already had to bore out the holes to get the screws though.
    Last edited by S!X; 01-27-2007 at 11:06 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Poster
    You could use some long thin zip ties to secure the hd, put them through the holes that are there and over the hd or drill some new ones if needed.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    Guys, I need some suggestions for what I could do about my hard drive because it still seems to be making a lot of "seeking noise". As you can see from the pics I've posted the HD is sitting on those blue rubber grommets but the vibration is still coming through the case because the screw heads are making contact with the metal of the case. I was thinking of getting felt pads (ones like you'd put on the bottom of chair legs) and putting those between the screws and the case, or perhaps some rubber washers if I can find some at the hardware store. Any ideas or suggestions?

Edit: Being that the mount holes on the bottom of the case are small as is I cant put the grommets though like supposed to be, I already had to bore out the holes to get the screws though.
    Can't remember which drive you got, but I'm pretty sure at least one manufacturer has a utility which sets the seek speed. It controls the power of the seek solenoid to give a quieter operation, but at the cost of performance.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Glad to see all the luminaries of hardware world posting in this thread, although only one of them has the inclination to actually post up some pictures.

The rest appear ignorant of my continued pleas. Clocker is camera shy, Virtualbody appears to be too busy, even to respond to PM's... hears hoping the Lynx-meister can pull it out the bag..

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I don't have a camera handy but I have some older pics on my drives somewhere. I'll post them if I can find them...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    Gateway e-2000 2.8 ghz.
    2gb DDR PC2100 Ram
    Nvidia Fx5500 pci 256mb
    750gb maxtor hdd

I lost my data cable for my camera, so I found a pic of a e-2000 on the net. I got a buddy that owns a auto body paint shop, that is going to paint the case a raven black gloss. I will be selling this system soon though.
    Last edited by viper1405; 01-28-2007 at 05:18 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    lynx's Avatar .
    Only got my phone, and since both my systems are under the table it's going to have to wait for better light.

I've got to move some of my stuff around tomorrow, so I'll try to take some at the same time.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    I don't have a camera handy but I have some older pics on my drives somewhere. I'll post them if I can find them...
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Only got my phone, and since both my systems are under the table it's going to have to wait for better light.

I've got to move some of my stuff around tomorrow, so I'll try to take some at the same time.
    Nice one bruvvers!!!! Looking forward to those pics

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    lynx's Avatar .
    No possibility here to route PSU cables down the outside of the case, so where possible they run behind the motherboard or in the 5½ drive bay. Custom IDE and Floppy cables make for good airflow. Toolfree padded drive mounts make easy fitting and quiet operation.

Next purchase will hopefully include a combined floppy and card reader slot in matching black. Trouble is, every time I visit my supplier they seem to have sold out of them. In the background is the LED printer - bigger than the tower.

This one is still a work in progress so no graphics card yet, but the built-in graphics chip is ok for most purposes, even some fairly recent games. The keyboard, mouse, vga and audio cables combine and run off to a wall mounted KVM switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post

The rest appear ignorant of my continued pleas. Clocker is camera shy...
    Camera shy!!??
    I don't think anyone has pimped their PC here more than I.
    Clocker has been busy.
    My new car has been a time/money drain, so Sprocket has had to take a back seat for a while- a position she is ill-suited to fulfill.
    Things have not been completely static however, I have a bunch of new parts that I've been/or about to be testing.

Here she is when last complete...

And as she sits right now...

Here's the mess my desk has become...

Somewhat visible in the last pic are:
    -Three new HDDs, all Seagate SATA, 2x 250GB (currently running in RAID0) and one 500GB
    -New Lite-on SATA DVD-RW
    -new EK multi-rez
    -new D-tec Fuzion waterblock

The current internal hardware- AMD Opteron 180, DFI Expert mobo, Leadtech 7900 GT, and 2x1GB Patriot PC3500 are almost sold and will be replaced with some sort of Intel based system (depends on cashflow).

Not pictured is the Silverstone 850w PSU sitting under the desk...it will replace the Corsair 520w currently in the case.

Happy now, Colt?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast