Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: caratnetworks

Unsure

Hello all, caratnetworks is still accepting torrent site hosting on their VPS? As I see, many big sites has chosen to host there, but maybe they have different rules for colocation and dedicated servers.
    Thanks,
    zero1

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Slickerey's Avatar <3 FST BT Rep: +2
    A VPS is a slice of a server, so you can basically host a "small" tracker if you're with those guys.

I highly doubt they would say anything about it anyways.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    It's not that Carat accept torrent sites and other hosts don't, but AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) torrent sites are technically legal in Canada. Thus it's perfectly legal to host it - on Carat's part. OR any other Canadian host. What.CD are in Canada, but not Carat.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Aaaah yes the host with the dodgy hard drives. Carat was FTWR's host and the major reason why that torrent site is not with us any more, that wasn't the only data failure, just the most unrecoverable one.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    pretend's Avatar Is this it? BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Aaaah yes the host with the dodgy hard drives. Carat was FTWR's host and the major reason why that torrent site is not with us any more, that wasn't the only data failure, just the most unrecoverable one.
    Not making backups was the major reason.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I'm sorry, is this a joke? Sure, it's just a torrent site, but facts are facts. I can understand the anger (if I am correct in detecting some there), but if you care about that torrent site (I don't know you that well so am not sure) then let me take you seriously:

First of all, I am still shocked and appalled every time someone reminds me of FTWR and what happened, and will continue to for a long time. Secondly, I am baffled as to why you are shifting the blame from what was an incredible mistake on staff's part (and imo, unprofessional, not to mention deafeningly embarrassing), to something else.

No one's perfect and we're all humans who make mistakes but whoever was responsible (M4rduK I guess?) has a lot to recover in terms of their reputation. I thought doing regular off-site backups was a basic principle of website management 101.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    a dev/sysop from ftwr created a script for backing up site DB automatically on another server via FTP. the script is available on gazelle forums.
    MySQL and Web Backup Script

the irony..

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The problem wasn't a lack of backups, the problem was the backups were stored on the same hard drive as the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    pretend's Avatar Is this it? BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    The problem wasn't a lack of backups, the problem was the backups were stored on the same hard drive as the site.
    Smart idea, isn't it?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    yeah....aka lack of backups .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast