Thread: Scanning Stuff

As I'm planning on buying a scanner in the near future
    could you folks recommend some tips for what it takes to
    create a doc or e-book?

I was thinking of easy to use scanning-software and
    things like how long does it take to scan a whole book ??

Maybe we could collect all tips and make some sort of quick-manual?

I'm sure we like to see some new material appear on the internet.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Well, after you scan in your stuff, you should OCRize it...except it usually comes up with tons of errors that you have to manually correct. Not fun. Depending on what type of book you're scanning in, you might have to destroy it, cutting the pages along the spine. Poor book. I'll look for my notes...

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@22 May 2003 - 01:22
    Well, after you scan in your stuff, you should OCRize it...except it usually comes up with tons of errors that you have to manually correct. Not fun. Depending on what type of book you're scanning in, you might have to destroy it, cutting the pages along the spine. Poor book. I'll look for my notes...

If you use a handheld scanner (don't see many of those around these days)it
    might prevent forcing y'r bookspine?
    Do the errors have to do with the type of bookfont?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    imported_jamesandpie
    Yup, the clearer to the read the text the easier it is for the OCR to pick it up, it also depends on the softwre ure using. Try and use a really professional one for decent results

5. Lounge   -   #5
    a hand scaner is uasy not good enuff and its a lot harder too use. u got too scan larg pages 2 times with them then line up the sacns. a flat bed has the best resualts. u can scan as pictures in about 4 hr for a 250 page paper back. but it takes a long time to ocr it. i use text bridge its not too bad but it still comes up with some erriors u got to edit by hand. last one i did took 4 days to prof its not an easy thing to do. and if u dont cut out the pages and lay them flat u u get a lot more erriors in the ocr. all so the scans before u do the ocr can take up a lot of room

6. Lounge   -   #6
    i use text bridge its not too bad but it still comes up with some erriors u got to edit by hand.
    I saw somewhere else your post about text bridge ,however it's not clear to me if it is a correction program or a conversion program (or maybe both).
    Is it a function withib all OCR-progs or a stand-alone app?

(i'll probably go for a office-machine :printer &scanner combined in 1)