Thread: Win98 - Winxp

Well, i try to update my Win98SE comp to WinXP Home Edition. And i check to see if its supported and its not. it says winxp upgrade does not support upgrading from win98.

can anyone help me here????
    I dont like win98 its slow and crap and frustrating!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Well first of all, does your computer meet the requirements for Windows XP?

If you can't upgrade, your probably going to have to do a clean install of WinXP.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    You'll probably need to do a clean install as XStacy says. Also, i found when i first moved to XP that i had to upgrade my motherboard bios. You'll know if you need to do the same, if XP starts to install, then freezes.

I don't think XP is any faster than 98SE, it's certainly more stable though. If your PC is low spec, you might be better to stick with what you've got.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    You could check your BIOS and mke sure that the boot sequence is set for CDROM before the harddirve and just boot the Windows XP CD. The setup will launch and you will have the options there to partition and format your drive. If you want to try a 'clean' install, I recommend you reformat your drive in NTFS. Once the formatting is complete the Windows installation will start by itself.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@21 May 2003 - 19:56
    If you want to try a 'clean' install, I recommend you reformat your drive in NTFS. Once the formatting is complete the Windows installation will start by itself.
    This brings up a question I had about upgrading. Does XP include a utility to convert the hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS without formatting and losing everything?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I would stay with windows 98SE if its running fine. XP slows the PC down a lot more than 98. But go ahead and use XP i use it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Nightwolf@22 May 2003 - 23:59
    This brings up a question I had about upgrading. Does XP include a utility to convert the hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS without formatting and losing everything?
    It does include that tool but I wouldn't rely on it completely. I've only ever done a conversion once and everything turned to shit.
    Super completely clean from a virgin drive or killed drive is the only way to get every thing working peak. Then if something ever screws up there's no wondering if it was something left over from last time.