Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: N00biE N00b N00B questions :)

Curlz31's Avatar UN > BT
    Quote Originally Posted by WADDiE View Post
    so if im just leeching it doesnt really apply to me then right?

When you join a Usenet provider (UsenetServer, Giganews etc) they give you access to their particular usenet server (If you dont know what a server is, look it up on wikipedia), that is what you are paying for. When a person uploads they will upload to their usenet providers server (not necessarily the one you have access to), then that server quickly sends the files to all other usenet servers including (hopefully) the one your provider owns. You will then have access to the file, however the amount of time that these files will remain on your providers server (and the others) will vary. After a particular time the files will be deleted. This amount of time is referred to as 'retention time'. When you leech you leech from your usenet providers server only. Therefore the amount of time your provider keeps files on its server does apply to you because you will not be able to leech it after that time.

As retention times get longer the issue of file availability becomes less important because, given enough time, the files will be reposted and the timer goes back to zero.

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +5
    great explanation curlz... thank you.

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by asfdlq3i45poi View Post
    hey erRor67,

one question-- how can you be everywhere??? are you claiming to be Jesus?
    Lol. No, I dont claim to be Jesus. Its just a joke.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123