Thread: Can I tank Vista?

Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    With the specs in my sig, can i run vista without affecting my PC's gaming capability too much?

I'm a little worried cuz i've only got single core 4000+, and 1 GB of ram.

If I do need to get another gig of ram, do I need to get the same OCz brand 1gig kit?

thx in advance.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Vista Hardware requirements

According to Microsoft, computers capable of running Windows Vista are classified as Vista Capable and Vista Premium Ready.[24] A Vista Capable or equivalent PC needs to have at minimum an 800 MHz processor, 512 MB RAM and a DirectX 9 class graphics card. A computer that meets these requirements will be capable of running all editions of Windows Vista although some of the special features and high end graphics options may require additional or more advanced hardware. A Vista Premium Ready PC will take advantage of Vista's "high-end" features but will need at least a 1.0 GHz processor, 1 GB main memory, and an Aero-compatible graphics card with at least 128 MB graphics memory and supporting the new Windows Display Driver Model. The company also offers Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor[25] from its Web site to determine the ability of a PC to run Vista in its various guises. The utility runs on Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Microsoft lists some Vista capable hardware on their web site. The "Vista Premium Ready" laptops they specify have Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 or above CPUs and 1 GB memory.[26]

Windows Vista's "Basic" and "Classic" interfaces will work with virtually any graphics hardware that supports Windows XP or 2000; accordingly, most discussion around Vista's graphics requirements centers on those for the Windows Aero interface. As of Windows Vista Beta 2, the NVIDIA GeForce FX family and later, the ATI Radeon 9500 and later, Intel's GMA 950 integrated graphics, and a handful of VIA chipsets and S3 Graphics discrete chips are supported.[27] Though some XGI Technology Volari chips were DirectX 9 (including the Volari V3XT which was available in PCI cards), with XGI's exit from the graphics card business it appears none of its chips are supported as of Vista Beta 2.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    You can easily run it.
    The only thing you should be worried about is video card drivers...they suck right now (nvidia ones still beta, dunno about ati).

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thx, I know the system requirements, I'm just wondering how much it's going to affect my PC's gaming performance, with Vista being such a memory and gfx hog and all.
    Biostar XE T5
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I would suggest waiting a few months before drivers are more up to date. I tried out CS:S on my computer (AMD X2 4200+, 2GB dual channel PC3200, 7600 GT) In XP I usually get an avg of 120 FPS. With Vista I lost nearly 80 FPS for an avg of 40... Yea, wait for the drivers they are just in initial release right now. Oh and it really isn't much of a hog. It probably uses twice the amount of RAM that XP does when Aero is active. But Ultimate has a feature to offload most of the system while full screen games are being played. So really once the drivers catch up you should see a benefit from running Vista.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler View Post
    Thx, I know the system requirements, I'm just wondering how much it's going to affect my PC's gaming performance, with Vista being such a memory and gfx hog and all.
    A friend of mine did some tests on different system and you might have as much as a 40% drop in framerate/performance in games.
    This als depends on how much of your hardware that has Vista drivers available, but XP is much better for gaming as of now.

I got 3GB RAM, Core2 CPU, GeForce 7950 GX2, WD raptor drives and a X-FI sound card and I cannot get any good performance in BF2142 and other games @ the same resolutions and settings compared to XP.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thanks, I'll wait for the new drivers.

Saved me hours or work installing-hating-uninstalling vista.
    Biostar XE T5
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    ATI and nvidia drives suck right now for Vista. So yea, wait especially if your a gamer.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Thanks for info........

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    With the "Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate X86-PANTHEON" release that works fully (updates and all) I might just install it. Gonna burn the .iso now