Thread: The $100 Laptop Project

HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    Just got the opportunity to learn about this program and actually see a demonstration model (complete with swivel screen :-) ). This seems like a really neat program and will be supporting it. It is being demonstrated at the U.N. this morning.

http://laptop.media.mit.edu/

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Can't wait till theres millions distributed. Than I'd hope they'll sell them to the public for a profit to subsidise the project. I'd probably buy 1 for $200 or less.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Can't wait till theres millions distributed. Than I'd hope they'll sell them to the public for a profit to subsidise the project. I'd probably buy 1 for $200 or less.
    I'd buy one as well, if that was possible. I think I'd be prepared to pay a little more than what you propose, even. (Think of the childrens )

Had a look at the specs and such, and I imagine they'd be handy for a few things.
    Last edited by Snee; 02-02-2007 at 10:12 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    ...dude, even for $100, 366mhz CPU, 128 RAM=Junk.

Wut's the fucking point, might as well buy more pens and paper and hire more teachers.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    phoen|x's Avatar @ localhost BT Rep: +4
    The problem with 1 Laptop per Child program(OLPC) imo is outdated hardware and the fact that its running Linux. No that i have anything agains Linux, kudos to the whole open source and all that. But lets face it, the business world is running Microsoft applications.
    The goal with OLPC is to educate third world children, but what is the point in educate them with an OS they most likely won't be using? And to the low price, you have to calculate TCO (total cost of ownership). I bet its a lot harder to get OLPC laptop repaired if it gets broken than a "regular" laptop/desktop because its running on "cheap" hardware that you local-around-the-corner computer store can't fix. Even more so, since its running Linux its bound to be harder to get support.
    If i'm not mistaken i think they are planning on selling it western country's aswell, but for double the price. The plan is that for every computer you buy, you sponsor a laptop for chil in a development country. Wich is a good idea.

Just my 2 cents regarding OLPC

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by phoen|x View Post
    The problem with 1 Laptop per Child program(OLPC) imo is outdated hardware and the fact that its running Linux. No that i have anything agains Linux, kudos to the whole open source and all that. But lets face it, the business world is running Microsoft applications.
    The goal with OLPC is to educate third world children, but what is the point in educate them with an OS they most likely won't be using? And to the low price, you have to calculate TCO (total cost of ownership). I bet its a lot harder to get OLPC laptop repaired if it gets broken than a "regular" laptop/desktop because its running on "cheap" hardware that you local-around-the-corner computer store can't fix. Even more so, since its running Linux its bound to be harder to get support.
    If i'm not mistaken i think they are planning on selling it western country's aswell, but for double the price. The plan is that for every computer you buy, you sponsor a laptop for chil in a development country. Wich is a good idea.

Just my 2 cents regarding OLPC
    The point of this computer was never to teach them how to use an operating system, jeez. It's to facilitate teaching of other subjects. There won't be that many 'around the corner' shops, I assure you. The whole point of that hand crank device is because the places where these laptops will be used likely won't even have electricity, much less computer repair shops.

Anyway, the thing about cheap devices is that you can throw it away if it spoils. Obviously there will be problems such as people taking these then stripping them down for precious metals on the circuit boards, but as with most things in life, good things will always come with problems and strings attached.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    AlexV's Avatar Poster
    So does anyone know for sure if it's possible for people in developed countries to buy one of these?
    Check out my freeware for Windows!