Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which one should i get

Hi

im pretty new to usenet.
    in the sticky there are two nice guides, but i don't know
    which app should i get. GrabIt? or Newsleecher?
    or anything else?
    and what are their qualities and better features.

thank you very much.
    Last edited by killswitx; 01-27-2007 at 04:46 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Grabit is free and easy to get up and running. I used it when I started using usenet but now I use Newsbin Pro becuase it's much better for dowloading headers etc.

I haven't used Newsleecher but as long as you are new to this you might wanna try a free program first to see if that is all you need.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    I agree, use Grabit to get your feet wet and if your ISP offers Newsgroups then utilize that. Otherwise, sign up for a news hosting site that allows you to use their service for a few days or a week just to see if you like it.

The first server I used was Usenet-News as they have great pricing options. 2GB for 2 bucks, 5GB for 3 bucks, 20GB for 10 bucks and so on and so forth. It gives you something to work with as you explore the different groups and it wont be a horrible waste of money if you're just using it to play around with.

I just signed up with Usenetserver which offers excellent pricing (around 13 bucks a month with 10 connections and 75 day retention). My connection maxes out all the time.

I use NewsLeecher for my reader. It will cost you some green but it's well worth it in my opinion. Check the stickies for tutorials and guides for in depth info.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by delimare View Post
    I agree, use Grabit to get your feet wet and if your ISP offers Newsgroups then utilize that. Otherwise, sign up for a news hosting site that allows you to use their service for a few days or a week just to see if you like it.

The first server I used was Usenet-News as they have great pricing options. 2GB for 2 bucks, 5GB for 3 bucks, 20GB for 10 bucks and so on and so forth. It gives you something to work with as you explore the different groups and it wont be a horrible waste of money if you're just using it to play around with.

I just signed up with Usenetserver which offers excellent pricing (around 13 bucks a month with 10 connections and 75 day retention). My connection maxes out all the time.

I use NewsLeecher for my reader. It will cost you some green but it's well worth it in my opinion. Check the stickies for tutorials and guides for in depth info.
    no problem with news server i have chello.
    and ok i ll try grabit, then maybe newsleech. thank you guys

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Just start with Grabit it provides all the basic functions you need (Using it for 3 years now). At a certain point you will know the basics and might want more options thats when newsleecher is a good option.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    GrabIt is free and not many features, NewsBin is better than GrabIt but not free (cheap, just $35 you can update new version for life), Newleecher is more expensive with $29,95/a year (license expires) but Newsleecher has nice GUI (Graphical User Interface) plus SUPERSEARCH service.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Newsleecher rules, I love the fact that I can download from more than one newsgroup servers

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by akeserla View Post
    Newsleecher rules, I love the fact that I can download from more than one newsgroup servers
    You are implying that other utilities don't do this, which is not the case. Newsbin (currently v5.32) has been connecting to multiple servers for many years. Since v2, I believe.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Curlz31's Avatar UN > BT
    Newsleecher is superior in my experience. The free trial version should give you an idea of it's functionality. It has a relatively simple GUI that is good for beginners and has everything you need as you move on and become a more advanced user.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Grabit lacks many important features that Newsleecher provides, so better get Newsleecher from the beginning. Reliable application with great features (last beta even let you repair and extract files automaticly as you downloadie them). You can try it for free, you can buy it or just use cr@ck :-)
    And of cause don't forget to try Supersearch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast