Thread: Data Transfer Caps?

Hey everyone, I have been looking everywhere to find out why my download and upload speeds are so slow. On the best torrent trackers, i get a max 200kbps and upload 30... my advertised dl speed is 3mbps!
    I have tried to optimize my MTU or whatever with TCP Optimizer from speedtests (i think), I got that connections/second patch from lvllord (i use winxp), and i of course optimized my utorrent settings...
    -Now I am scared to call up my ISP and ask why my dl speeds aren't the greatest for obvious reasons, so I've come to you guys -
    While looking for more ways to increase my dl/ul rates i came across this Blog: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/P...cle.asp?ID=102

I was just wondering if it was true, that my cable modem is capping my data transfer to a mere ~200/30kbps. If so, are there ways to uncap my modem?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Retired
    3mpbs = 375 kb/s.

Torrents don't always give you max speed it depends on the number of seeders/leechers and what their upload speed is.

You cannot uncap your modem..

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    DuDDee's Avatar Night Crawler
    You can uncap your modem using hardware or software methods but you'd better know what you are doing or FUBAR. Secondly as {I}{K}{E} says more likely your speeds are due to the speed of the torrent. Just go to a speed check site and test your connection. If it is about the same as your ISP is providing you there is no problem. I rarely reach the full download speed of my connection except on good private trackers.
    Be warned if you do uncap and your ISP find out your account will be terminated.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    You can uncap your modem using hardware or software methods but you'd better know what you are doing or FUBAR. Secondly as {I}{K}{E} says more likely your speeds are due to the speed of the torrent. Just go to a speed check site and test your connection. If it is about the same as your ISP is providing you there is no problem. I rarely reach the full download speed of my connection except on good private trackers.
    Be warned if you do uncap and your ISP find out your account will be terminated.

Oops blooming lag...
    Last edited by DuDDee; 02-04-2007 at 12:00 PM. Reason: double post

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    You can uncap via software or hardware but it is illegal and if caught will get you banned from your ISP. Before uncapping try an online speed test and verify the speed of your connection.
    I agree with IKE about torrents. I only get full download speed on good private trackers.

Oops blooming lag.....
    Last edited by DuDDee; 02-04-2007 at 12:01 PM. Reason: treble post

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E} View Post
    3mpbs = 375 kb/s.
    what does that mean?

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    hugh.jeego's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    well ure connection is 3mbps (three megaBITS per second)

= (3 x 1024) = 3072 kilobits per second

divide by 8 (there are 8 bits in a byte)

3072/8 = 384 kiloBytes per second

if the "b" is in upper case eg KB, thats usually refering to kilobytes

if the "b" is in lower case eg kb, thats usually refering to kilobits

so if your getting 200KB/s

thats 200*8= 1600kilobits/s

or ~1.5MB/s

hope that helps ;-)
    i'm contantly confused

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    It could be a few things. First, maybe the torrent you are connecting to doesnt have fast uploaders. So you never max out your connection. Another thing is perhaps your ISP throttles your speed. Like, they make bit torrent speeds never go over 200 KB/sec.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    SHUVT's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I am assuming you have done the port forward and possibly set up a static IP?

3mpbs = 375 kb/s

So you are not too far off. Is the 200 kb/s 1 torrent or combined of all torrents running?