Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Books & Films

Poster
    So you saying we are smart arses because we read books??

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Poster
    obviously not as it was a joke, sorry.
    max 80x80
    100kb

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Poster
    or the last two lines were anyway.
    max 80x80
    100kb

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Poster
    Thats OK, wern't sure if you being serious or not

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Poster
    tis good to keep people guessing.
    max 80x80
    100kb

6. Lounge   -   #26
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    A Clockwork Orange was, aesthetically anyway, a fair attempt.
    Yet I do think Kubrick's arrogance got the better of him.
    Visually, it is, ofcourse, stunning and lovely lovely Ludwig Van is like angel trumpets and devil trombones.
    But what about the last chapter?
    The epilogue of acceptance in Burgess's novel redefined what we had just read as a redemption tale. We find, if not hope, at least conformity for Alex. A maturity and greater wisdom gained simply by existing.
    Kubrick affords us no such profundity. Kubrick's Alex is an unswerving sociopath risen to impunity. I love the film but I can't help thinking that the ending was a deliberate stab at controversy sustained by warring cinephiles and bibliophiles.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Poster
    " Relic ", the novel, scared the crap out of me. Could NOT put it down.
    I anticipated the movie so eagerly, telling all my friends to make a point to see it, and was thoroughly pissed that I'd wasted six bucks for a ticket.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Poster
    I've done that in the past... thats why I either go to see the film first, or just stick to the book and don't bother with the film.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Poster
    Originally posted by Curley@19 June 2003 - 03:36
    I've done that in the past... thats why I either go to see the film first, or just stick to the book and don't bother with the film.
    Shoulda, coulda, woulda. I wish I had the will power to resist all the Hollywood hype about a movie after reading the book, but I think so many of us put WAY too much faith in that industry's ability to magically make things come to life on the big screen.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Poster
    sympathy to all who forked out hard earned wedge to witness Relic on the big screen, it was bad enough on satelite. At least you had popcorn!

Chalice, in reply to your comments on Kubricks visual and aural depiction of the Burgess novel, i have to say fair comment on all points, i still felt alex had seen the error in his evil deeds, but a bit self pittying all the same in the face of what
    seems to be the ultimate punishment for the poor wretch.
    as for kubricks arrogance, well i'd sooner see a director stamp his individuality on
    a picture than have the studios force theirs on both. It most definately could have
    been a better movie, but still a fair representation of one of the most moralistic
    tales i've ever read. must just mention the soudtrack, Walter Carlos and his electronic reworking of the classics really fitted the mood of the piece and gave it a futuristic edge, I wonder if it was kubricks idea to hire him? must try and find out.
    come on anyway lets have some of your novel movie crossovers, i'm curious.
    max 80x80
    100kb

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast