Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Books & Films

Poster
    This topic is about books that have been made into films.

Do you watch films that have been made from books you've read - and if so, what? Also, which was better, the film or the book?

Heres a couple from me:

Catch Me If You Can: Good film but book was better.
    Misery: Book Definately, goes into a lot more detail.
    The Beach: Again, I have to go with the book

Theres more, but i'll post them later. What do you think?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    hmmm, I don't like watching a film if I already read the book it was based on, or vice versa. I want to picture the fictive world myself....

Still, I liked both the film and the book of 'The Shining'....but that's about it for me.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Every film I've ever seen or heard of based on a book, has paled in comparison to the book, or just been an outright insult. However, that pertains to films made ABOUT a book, I think, as opposed to films loosely based or inspired by the book, which can't really be compared that way.

I agree with Skweeky about picturing the fictional world and all of the imagery and characters and expression myself - it is far more personal and real that way, and certainly not limited by someone elses imagination or special effects budget.

I also think it depends on the type of book/film. I think that a film based on a Grisham book or something can convey the story fairly well, but a book based on fantasy or something deeply conceptual is much harder to pull off.

Despite all of these arguments, I have been impressed by a number of films recently, including LOTR , and some of the comic based movies have at least been decent. I just watched Breakfast Of Champions . And look at something like Trainspotting - AWESOME book that resulted in hip cheap thrill movie and RUINED the book forever for me....

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    That's a tough one. I love the Harry Potter series but I also love the movies eventhough many scenes are removed for time constraints.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Have to agree with Darth Sushi : some films add something to the experience
    like beautiful settings or nice visual effects.
    On the other hand books offer you the freedom of your own imagination and I'd
    sure like to see kids read more books instead of hanging out in front of the tv.

Also a lot of movies do differ in content from the book they were based on.
    A good example imo is Stephen Kings 'The Shining' and Curleys example
    of 'Misery' (both bookvss. are better)

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    I prefer films

7. Lounge   -   #7
    WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    Me loved the Lord of the Rings books, but I equally love the movies (well, they have Orlando "Mr Cheekbones" Bloom.../me drools).

the Harry potter books were GREAT! me loves them loads and I guess the movies were ok...the boy who plays Harry just needs some more acting lessons...

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I'm almost always disapointed by such movies... No, wait a minute: always! But if they're about books I really love, I'll go see them anyway! Even if they feature some bloke surfin' in Helm's Deep and dwarf-tossing stuff...

9. Lounge   -   #9
    WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    "nobody tosses a dwarf!"

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Poster
    Now Alice In Wonderland, thats a differant matter

I prefer the film, always have & always will!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast