Thread: Ddr Graphic Card And Sdram

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Ok, this is getting on my nerves now. Ever since I bought my 64MB DDR Chaintech GeForce4 MX 420. 90% of my games freaking freeze when I'm playing them. I can't even play Vice City!

My games didn't freeze before. Before my GeForce I had a 32MB graphic card, not DDR. Now my question is, does it matter that I have SDRAM and a DDR graphic card? Like if I buy DDR RAM will my games stop freezing? I need answers fast, thanks!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I don't see why it should. (movement of data vs. processing it? read on)
    I'm sure updating to the latest drivers would be a good idea. Even new cards may have outdated drivers. May be worthwhile to check the mfg. website.

Check back, I'm sure others will chime in with some ideas.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I have the newest drivers from the offical nividia website, 44.03. Same problem.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Not every card will run right with the latest drivers. Sometimes you have to test and find the driver that will work with the card. Perhaps the 41.03 driver will work for you. If you don't have luck in a driver maybe a bad card???

I would suggest using Nasty File Remover (NFR). This is handy when you are changing your current drivers and you wish to make sure that all previous driver files are removed.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    Having different types of ram is differernt sections of your pc dont matter. u can have SD system ram and DDR video ram running together, the thing that seperates them is the cpu, there is a seperate cpu on the card, this does all the comunication between the main system and the video card. the 2 types of ram are not running together, tho if u have ddr on ur card and sd in ur system then there is a bit of slow down when the vid card has to use system ram as opposed to having ddr in both cases, but thats it.

what does matter is mixing ram in the same section, this cant be done.

I would reccomend u shove ur old card back in to test the drivers, if the games hang now then its a driver or other system problem, if not then its ur video card, video ram is just as unreliable as system ram and u do get the odd duff stick.

Xan

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    DivX
    recon m8 you have the dreaded nvloop

this only happens with GF4's and VIA mobo's in combo's

things to do

1, up your PSU 400wts is the minimum for a GF4 with a highend PC

2, Download the INF-LOOP patch found on VIA's site i beleve the link is in VIA's Forum

3,read this too

Root Cause: Load at 3.3V versus how many amps your PSU provides at 3.3V.

Detail:
    Basically, there is a threshold for stability of your motherboard. If you have too much current drain at 3.3V, your system becomes unstable, and crashes with either a lockup or BSOD.

Fix:
    1. Increase the amount of current delivered at 3.3V by increasing the size of your PSU.
    2. Decrease the amount of load consumed at 3.3V.

How did I determine this?
    1. I increased my PSU to 431W. That at least allowed me to run in 4XAGP, but not without looping.
    2. Removed one 256MB Memory Module, which reduced my load at 3.3V. Everything worked!

At 512MB, I can run 3Dmark2001 successfully in BOTH Windows 2000 and XP without a lockup or crash.

What this means:
    How power is apportioned to the individual components is an electronics engineering issue, and motherboard manufacturers should take heed to this. This is a motherboard manufacturer's issue. What needs to happen is a better apportionment of current, splitting between the AGP bus, memory modules, and all components that use the 3.3V supply.

What this is not:
    1. This is not a Microsoft Windows issue.
    2. This is not an nVidia or ATI driver issue.
    3. This is not a chipset manufacturer issue (VIA, Intel, ALi, SiS), unless of course they manufacturer motherboards.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    OK. I fixed my problem. Here is what I did:

I took my sticks of RAM out (the 256MB and the 128MB), then I noticed the inside of my PC was VERY dusty. The slots for my RAM were VERY dusty. I cleaned the insides and got rid of the dust. Then I put the RAM back in, turned on my PC. Now everything works great!

From now on every month or so imma clean the dust inside my PC.
    Thanks to anyone that replied.