Thread: Cant Delete File

I have d/l a non working copy of the recruit, and i cant seem to be able to delete it. when i try i get an error message telling me another program is using it, but i dont have any other progs running (kazaa/media player etc)
    i think it is trying to bring up the details on the left hand folder bar (xp) but cant.

any ideas how i can remove this file????

Lee

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    i used to get this sometimes, try closing all non-essential processes with the task manager (ctrl-alt-delete). If that fails, the only way i did it was with Norton CleanSweep, which should be in the verified software section. Install that prog. and then select Uninstall and Show All Files from the menu.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    If carbert's suggestions do not work, this has been covered in several previous posts, there are numerous ways to correct the situation, try searching the forum for undeletable files and make sure to change the search criteria to any date, not the past 30 days as is the default. I think I may even have posted a "how to" on certain undeletable files. Good Luck.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    There's nothing you can do until you reboot your machine and then delete it. Here is one explanation and solution from VCD-help for the future:

The fix for Windows XP not letting you delete .avi

I've seen this coming up more and more all over the place so I figured I'd stick it here.

Avi files (divx) can be trouble in xp. there is a fix to let xp behave much better so it's possible to move or delete large avi files. The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of the AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll.

To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following
    registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesCLSID{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}InProcServer32

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files.

Just an extra note, if you do a "search" for this key it will not be found, look for it manually it is very easy to find. As always newbie or not, if you FUBAR your registry its your own fault. This fix does work, I use it and have applied it to many XP machines. Now go ahead and fix this royal pain in the ass!

RiG

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    BANNED
    m8 if allelse fails just open a command prompt

start menu>all programs>accessories>command prompt ,navigate
    to the file just type del filename and extension(del recruit.avi)
    hope this helps B)

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    It is a Windows XP bug,this fix works too.
    http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=1467