Thread: AOL - Starting to cap my line ?

I was told by aol that i could dl 24/7 and my 8mb line would would be full speed at all times. But for some reason between the hours of 6pm and 11pm the max speed i can get is 70 kbs.

Have aol starting cappin speeds at those times or is there possibly work going on in my exchange ??

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    possibly at peak times when it's busier they have to reduce the bandwidth so everybody gets some.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    I hope its got nothin to do with cpw.

Got speakin to a aol tech guy and hesaid they werent cappin lines and to ring back when the problem was there.

I asked him if there could be work going on in my exchange and he said it sounds like it

So until 6pm ...

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Why would they be working on the exchange between 6pm and 11pm - the busiest time of the day

Think it thru' man

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    Welcome to AOL:

Q: What happens if I exceed what is deemed acceptable downloads under the Fair Use policy?
    A: You will not incur any additional charges, be removed from the service or have a download cap imposed. At present, the minority of subscribers that exceed the Fair Use policy will have speed limits placed on their connection during peak times. This enables us to ensure that all our subscribers get the best possible service during busier times. Peak times vary but are currently Sunday to Thursday evenings.
    ------------------------------------

you could trigger the Fair Use policy!

A: Excessive usage?
    An excessive online behaviour, not representative of a normal residential use, could be for example downloading over 12,000 music tracks, or 30,000 high-quality digital photos, or around 60 movies per month. This is a very large amount by any normal standard of usage.
    ---------------------------------------------

This policy is increasingly becoming standard practice to all ISPs
    hope of some use, all best from Buffalo
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me